Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > A couple early spring scenes from the Tanana

A couple early spring scenes from the Tanana

By Troutnut on May 11th, 2011
I took these pictures while setting out lines for burbot near town. I really am still a fly fishermen, but this is the first liquid water we've had in 7 months, and desperate times call for desperate measures!

Truth be told, I have a dirty little secret... this burbot fishing is kind of fun.

Photos by Troutnut from the Tanana River in Alaska

This is what a lot of the remaining river ice looks like right now, laying in massive chunks up on the bank.  Kick it and it shatters into a million little shards. From the Tanana River in Alaska.
This is what a lot of the remaining river ice looks like right now, laying in massive chunks up on the bank. Kick it and it shatters into a million little shards.
StateAlaska
LocationTanana River
Date TakenMay 11, 2011
Date AddedMay 12, 2011
AuthorTroutnut
CameraCanon PowerShot D10
The water is exceptionally low right now on the Tanana, leaving most of the logjams high and dry.  The area on the right in this photo is underwater during much of the summer. From the Tanana River in Alaska.
The water is exceptionally low right now on the Tanana, leaving most of the logjams high and dry. The area on the right in this photo is underwater during much of the summer.
StateAlaska
LocationTanana River
Date TakenMay 11, 2011
Date AddedMay 12, 2011
AuthorTroutnut
CameraCanon PowerShot D10

Comments / replies

MotroutMay 12th, 2011, 4:28 pm
Awesome pictures.

It's amazing that ya'll are still dealing with ice up there, and to be honest with you, I kind of envy you at the moment. We are dealing with our first heatwave of the year with temperatures reaching the low 90s until today and I am wishing that spring hadn't passed by so quick.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
TroutnutMay 12th, 2011, 4:47 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

We are dealing with our first heatwave of the year with temperatures reaching the low 90s until today

That's one of the things I miss the least about Missouri! We hit 90 up here maybe once or twice all summer, and most days are in the 70s.

Our spring has hardly even started yet. Buds are just beginning to show on some of the trees, and nothing has leafed out yet. North-facing slopes up in the hills still have a lot of snow.

Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.