Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Sundown on the Beaverkill

Softhackle has attached this picture. The message is below.
Shown Full Size
SofthackleJune 19th, 2008, 4:10 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Here's a photo taken by my son-in-law, Bill as we fished the Beaverkill during the first week of June '08. The closest fisherman is my son, Mark, the next is yours truly, and the last man in line is my other son-in-law, Andrew. What a great memory this evening was, lifted right out of a daydream or movie.
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Jjlyon01June 19th, 2008, 6:51 pm
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

That movie... could it be on of the greatest classics ever? A River Runs Through It.
"I now walk into the wild"
CamWolf1313June 20th, 2008, 8:30 pm
Andover, MA/ Andover NH

Great picture. How did you do on the trip fishing wise, because it seems like you had a lot of fun.
"Clear your mind of everything but the fish and the fly and you will be in the right mind frame to land it"
Billy Berger.
SofthackleJune 21st, 2008, 8:29 am
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Hi Cam,
Well, We arrived about 2:30 PM Thursday, June 5 and settled into our accomodations. We visited the fly shops in Roscoe for a few purchases then headed to the water about 4PM.

Fishing was tough as the water was a little low. Insect activity was sporadic, but we saw fish working. My son took one right about where was standing in the photo. About a 12" brown trout was released back to the water.

We decided to try the Willowemoc, and found it quiet. We took positions in good spots and My son and Son-in-law Bill both took 3 nice trout, all browns. The largest was about 17".

Next morning brought fog, and while I headed off to tie at the Clearwater Junction event, the boys fished the Beaverkill once more without success.

Later, after my tying was done, we returned to the Willow, and again took a number of nice trout in the 12" - 20" range. The next morning found us on the Willow once more. Trout were surfacing well, but were hard to please with imitations. These fish are well-educated. Between the four of us we only managed two trout of moderate size.

Saturday was quite warm,close to 90, and the water temps had climbed 10 degrees from 64 degrees that morning. So, we did not fish long at all that evening. Sunday morning was cool, damp and foggy, and we fished the Willow getting a few nice trout.

The greatest percentage of trout taken that weekend was to olive imitations, mostly wet flies, not dry. By far the most effective pattern was Weilenmann's Partridge and Olive Emerger, 14. Second best was to a fly I tie called a Genesee Jewel, wet #10. Only two fish were taken with a dry Blue Winged Olive #14.

We did some shopping, and socializing at the Clearwater Junction Show. Some of the tiers present were Roy Christie, Andy Brasko, Ralph Graves, Steve Thornton, Ted Patlen,Mark Romero, Dave Brandt and Allen McGee.. We had a great weekend that ended all too quickly.

Mark

"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
CamWolf1313July 6th, 2008, 10:29 pm
Andover, MA/ Andover NH

That sounds like a lot of fun. I haven't had the chance to take an extended trip but i have been fishing a lot and i have to say i am pretty jelious that you were able to get the chance to go.

Tight Lines,
Cam
"Clear your mind of everything but the fish and the fly and you will be in the right mind frame to land it"
Billy Berger.
SofthackleJuly 7th, 2008, 6:13 am
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Cam,
Now, that it is getting warmer, I'm sure the fishing has dropped off a little in the Beaverkill and Willowemoc. These rivers are only good, now for early morning fishing. It probably will not get any better till fall, unless we get a bout of unseasonal cooler temperatures and enough rain to keep the flows going.

I believe the West branch of the Delaware is still fishable with cooler water temperatures.

Perhaps, you still might get to Roscoe at some point. Don't give up.

Mark

CamWolf1313July 9th, 2008, 6:51 pm
Andover, MA/ Andover NH

Thanks for advice Mark. I luckily have a small mountain stream that stays relatively cool all summer. Their are large amounts of wild brookies and a mix of stocked and natural rainbows and browns. The fish aren't always that big but every once and a while you can land a 14' brookie and my friend just caught a 21' brown. My best fish there to date has been a 30' brown. Those fish are a rarity but there are consistant small brookies. Amazingly it is in the East but it is not pressured as some of the other rivers. It is a hike from the major hiking path but it still is fun.
Good Luck Mark
Billy Berger.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.