Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Savage River, MD trip...

KeystonerMarch 15th, 2010, 11:29 am
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

I'm plannig a trip to the savage river in MD this april. My buddy who was supposed to go with me backed out. So, I'm wondering if anyone would be interested...?

The dates i'm shooting for are 4/23 thru 4/28.

Also, if anyone has been there before camping/fishing, any and all info would be helpful. I'm looking at the fly only stretch right below the reservoir. Thanks.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
SlateDrake9March 15th, 2010, 1:47 pm
Potter County, PA

You better do some research before you go. They drained the dam for repairs and then came lots of snow and rain, causing all of the silt in the upper reaches of the dam to wash down about a month or two ago. I've heard that the entire lower river is silted in and major fish/insect kills. To the best of my knowledge, the dam is still drained, meaning that it's not a tailwater at the moment, so you'll have the flux of water and water temps to deal with.

You may want to fish the N. Branch of the Potomac instead. It's about 5 minutes away and has pretty decent fishing.

Check out Savage River Outfitters. The owner was really helpful last May when I was down there fishing.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
-- Slate Drake
JOHNWMarch 15th, 2010, 3:17 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Mtthew,
Definatly give the shop a call.

As for camping there is a primitive campgroung right along the river. I don't remember how much it is a night but definatly less than 25 bucks for a weekend. The campground is pretty quiet untill after Memorial day when things heat up.

As for an update on the dam repairs. As of Friday March 12 both of the upper gates had been closed and they were starting to fill the resevoir. A more recent report has the resevoir at 1/3 capacity already after the heavy weekend rains and close to 7" of water content in the form of snow on the ground. They plan to keep a flow of 40cfs flowing through the dam until it reaches full pool then they will do some high volume releases to flush silt out of the tailwater section.

As for insects to expect I'm not that familiar with the system but remember that you are significantly higher in elevation than the Lehigh Valley and it will likely feel more like winter than spring.

JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
KeystonerMarch 15th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Thanks guys.

That's a huge bummer regarding the fish kills mentioned by SlateDrake9. One of the things that really had me stoked were the wild brookies this system is/was supposedly teeming with.

I will definately give the shop a call, and thanks for the heads up on weather/temps to expect. Also, according to the Maryland State Parks Dept, primitive camping is $5 a nite. not bad.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.