Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > UP Smallmouth...

RleePAugust 16th, 2010, 12:17 pm
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

Anybody know anything about wading opportunities for smallmouth in the western UP, specifically on the Escanaba below Boney Dam or the Paint in the general vicinity of Crystal Falls?

Or other possible ideas for the same, say in the western half of the UP?

We're going up the first week in September. This will be our 4th trip and I've trout fished each time. Whether it has been due to the long term drought in the area or the time of year or whatever, I haven't done well with a couple of brief exceptions and thought I might dedicate the fishing time I'll have on this trip (probably 3 or so 4-5 hour sessions while Senior Mgmt. is off at the galleries/touristy whatevers here and there ) to bass fishing in moving water.

Any and all advice/replies welcome, either here or via personal message.

A Thousand Blessings Upon You in Advance,

Lee
Jmd123August 16th, 2010, 10:30 pm
Oscoda, MI

Lee, go to Horserace Rapids on the Paint River near Crystal Falls. I tied into lots of smallies there, and it's a pretty place. I was bait fishing at the time - back in the late 80s/early 90s before I became the fly-fishing purist that I am now - but I would roll a Woolly Bugger or crayfish imitation through there now and expect to hook plenty of frisky smallies. Also, the Ford River not too far out of town does have trout, browns and brookies according to the locals (I did catch a nice 10" brookie there once on an old streamer called a Nine-Three), and I think there's some other fishing in that area as well. Check out what I've told you about and hit a local shop while you're in the area - it's been almost 20 years since I was there so I don't remember much else but I hope this gets you started. Get yourself a good county map or DeLorme atlas, or do up some Google Maps and you should be able to find something...

Also, realize that the Upper Penninsula of Michigan is prime brook trout country (you may already know this) and that most of the small creeks up there have brookies in them, and many are in fact designated trout streams. Look for beaver ponds and be sure to take a nice short three-weight!

GOOD LUCK and let me know how you do!!!

Jonathon
Native Michigander

P.S. I just caught a 19 1/2" smallmouth bass (I'm guessing 5-pound range) on Saturday evening off my friends' dock on a lake in downstate Michigan, on a 7 1/2-foot three weight! We grow some big fat bass here...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
RleePAugust 17th, 2010, 10:09 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

Thanks Jonathan~~!

That was one of the places I was thinking about as it would relatively easy for mein frau to come pick me up.

I'll file a report when we return.

Best,

Lee

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.