Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Anyone in the Area?

FisherOfMenFebruary 28th, 2012, 3:41 pm
NY

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone on Troutnut lived near me.

*Trolling for fishing buddies* ;)

I'm in Star Lake, Northwestern Adirondacks of New York. Anyone near, or ever pass through? If you've ever fished the area, feel free to throw out a few good spots. I've never paid attention to the streams around here because I've always had a lake in my backyard!

Thanks,
Nick
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
Flatstick96February 28th, 2012, 6:00 pm
I've never fished up your way, but the last couple of times I've been home to visit (Ithaca), I've considered taking a few days to go up and try to find some decent fishing in the Adirondacks.

Still would like to get up there to fish someday.
MotroutFebruary 28th, 2012, 7:33 pm
You live in a very special area my friend! I've never spent time fishing quite as far west as the Star Lake area, but I do really love the western/central Adirondack region. So many lakes and slow moving streams, just full of smallmouth and pike, plus the occasional brookie! I've done a lot of paddling in the Tupper Lake area, and my goodness there are so many great places to fish around there. My favorite part of it's a bit east of you in the Long Lake area, but the Racquette River is one stream in your neck of the woods that I just love. It isn't the best trout stream (although there are certainly are some browns and brookies in the upper reaches) but in the gentler reaches it's really one of the better floating and fishing streams I know of out there, smallmouth and pike are the main targets, with some good wading on certain stretches as well. Just be careful about where you float that one, because in certain stretches there are lots of rapids and even a couple of huge waterfalls, in others it's very placid without hardly even any riffles. There are certainly some great brookie ponds out your way too, but I can't help you with that. I've only been there in July and August, and that just ain't pond brookie season, unless it's really spring-fed.

If you're wanting to drive a bit further east to the High Peaks, I could tell you about a whole bunch of good streams for native brookies and browns. Just like everyone else, the West Branch of the Ausable is my favorite because of the great dry fly fishing, but there are so many others. Also the Saranac is a stream you might want to try, good trout fishing in a couple of tailwater reaches and faster moving sections, great smallmouth fishing everywhere else. If you want any more specific info on any of these areas, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help out any way I can, if you'll promise to catch and release those brookies!

Chances are good that I'll be up to the Adirondacks sometime within the next couple of years, and when I do maybe we can meet up and fish together. In the mean-time, good luck!
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
FisherOfMenMarch 10th, 2012, 3:45 pm
NY

Thanks, but I probably won't be going that far east. There's still a few good streams within 10-20 miles, though. Mostly small trout around here, but oh so much fun to catch!

I didn't even know the Racquette had any coldwater species!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
FisherOfMenMarch 10th, 2012, 5:57 pm
NY

Well, by all means, Flatstick, make it this season! I know WHERE to fish, and you know HOW to fish! ;)

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.