Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Carcamping advice in Colorado

Danmusky47July 1st, 2016, 2:22 am
Chicago

Hey guys, my girlfriend and I are flying from Chicago to Denver to Riot fest over Labor Day weekend and the renting a car for a week to do some carcamping. If anyone would be so kind to recommend some car camping campgrounds that would be close to fly fishing for me, and hiking for my girlfriend ...plus not that far from s town for some adult beverages at night if we decide we are thirsty. Thank you for any suggestions...
BnorikaneJuly 4th, 2016, 2:31 pm
Colorado

There are many great places to camp, hike and fish in Colorado, but I'm only familiar with camping at a few of them.

Rocky Mountain National Park has great scenic views, camping, hiking, wildlife and fishing. Many of the campsites on the east side are close to Estes Park for thirsty nights. On the west side, there's one campground near the headwaters of the Colorado River and many other small creeks. The fish are not large in RMNP, but they are wild and beautiful.

There are good campsites near the Frying Pan riverh, which has terrific fly fishing. There are good bars nearby, and Aspen is only 50 minutes away.
ColoradoKenJuly 16th, 2016, 12:30 am
Granby, Colorado

Check out sarvis creek access on the yampa. It's also right near the famous tailwater stretch of the Yampa below stagecoach res. Big fish. Typical tailwater game. Really pretty area. Have fun!
http://cpw.state.co.us/swa/Sarvis%20Creek%20SWA
Free camping, I believe. Please call number in link above and confirm details before you go.

Or camp at pumphouse on the Colorado river. Essentially a really big freestone, the Colorado will be nice that time of year. It will be wade able. You will be able to cross in places, access the downstream islands (this is important). This is a large, Blm camp on the river.
http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/co/field_offices/crvfo/recreation_documents0.Par.4926.File.dat/Upper_Colorado_River_Guide.2015.pdf

You are gonna trade awesome car camping and fly fishing for close proximity to bars in many cases. Ya could get a cheapo cooler and pack it with beers. Just sayin'
Tight Lines,
Ken

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.