Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Ever Fish in the catskills?

Chorn5848March 9th, 2010, 7:37 pm
Rockton, PA

Hello,
Im new here so I want to say hi to everyone! Im heading to New York May 1st-9th to hopefully hit the Hendrickson. Just wondering if anybody had any tips on what patterns i should have in my box for that week?
Tie it don't buy it!!!
WiflyfisherMarch 9th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Wisconsin

There is a forum dedicated to the Catskills and the old Catskill fly patterns and fly tiers...

http://www.sparsegreymatter.com/index.php
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
SofthackleMarch 9th, 2010, 7:51 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Hi,
Hendrickson's are a good bet, also some Baetis as well as some caddis and early stonefly imitations.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
WbranchMarch 10th, 2010, 2:57 am
York & Starlight PA

"Im heading to New York May 1st-9th to hopefully hit the Hendrickson."

Depending on air and water temperatures, and where you are going to fish, the Hendrickson could be over on the Delaware, Lower West and East Branch, and lower Beaverkill River. In 2009 the first day I fished the West Branch was April 27 and there was only a small amount of Hendrickson duns. There were spinners the next few days but no more duns. In my experience if you go to the upper ends of the West and East branches you might still locate Hendrickson at that time. If they aren't around you'll likely find zillions of Apple Caddis and still good numbers of Paraleps.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Chorn5848March 10th, 2010, 12:29 pm
Rockton, PA

Im going to be fishing mainly the lowwer "kill" and possibly the willowemoc. Ive been there before but it was the last week of may. Talked to the guy at Catskill Flies in Roscoe and he said that I should go up the first week in may for the Hendrickson but he could be blowing smoke.
Tie it don't buy it!!!
PatcrisciMarch 10th, 2010, 12:49 pm
Lagrangeville, NY

Be prepared for Hendricksons (sizes 12-16), Baetis (14-18) and Apple Caddis (14-16)... you never know for sure but these are likely to be hatching. I like emergers sparkle dun and comparadun patterns for the mayflies and for the caddis i like to fish a woodchuck, elk or deerhair winged fly dry. Swinging soft hackle wet flies during caddis activity is deadly too. Partridge and green especially. I also tie and fish a bright green floss bodied caddis with a dark brown squirrel fur & hair thorax & head. This is a good week to go and you should get into some fish unless the weather turns freaky.
Pat Crisci
WbranchMarch 11th, 2010, 4:12 am
York & Starlight PA

"Talked to the guy at Catskill Flies in Roscoe and he said that I should go up the first week in may for the Hendrickson but he could be blowing smoke."

He is a good guy and wouldn't intentionally steer you wrong. BTW he runs a good fly fishing site that primarily discusses the Catskill rivers. Like I said in my response your success in finding Hendrickson's is dependent on air and water temperatures as well as water levels. I think you will find bugs and rising fish - just remember that the Hendricksons seldom emerge before noon unless it is an unseasonably warm day. Also be prepared to move around from one section of the river to another or to an entirely different river like the East Branch from Downsville to Shinopple.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Chorn5848March 11th, 2010, 8:03 am
Rockton, PA

I sure hope i can find some Hendricksons somewhere but I'll be prepared for whatever the weather might throw at me. Just got done tying up some Apple Caddis' and emergers. Got lots of Blue Quills and BWO's. Any other Suggestions? What is the name of his website? I'd like to check it out and see what else i can learn. Can never know too much!
Tie it don't buy it!!!
PatcrisciMarch 20th, 2010, 1:53 pm
Lagrangeville, NY

This site http://www.catskillflies.com/stream.html has daily updates on the most popular Catskill streams. Good luck.
Pat Crisci

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.