User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > PA Contingent, Page 2

WbranchFebruary 3rd, 2010, 5:22 pm
York & Starlight PA

"if you can get past the elitist attitude."

Ain't that the truth!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
KeystonerFebruary 3rd, 2010, 5:52 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

OOPS, I knew that crack was gonna get me in trouble. All in good fun.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
WbranchFebruary 3rd, 2010, 7:08 pm
York & Starlight PA

Keystoner,

I was just being a wiseacre and would never want to suggest that any fly fisher might be an elitist. HEHEHE at least no one at Troutnut.com that is.
MartinlfFebruary 4th, 2010, 6:23 am
Palmyra PA

Hi Keystoner,

I fish the Lil' Lehigh during Trico season from time to time. Perhaps we can meet there next season.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3February 4th, 2010, 12:04 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Keystoner - My dad is a baitfisherman, and we get into good-natured ribbing routinely. I hope you saw the irony in my statement - I was pretty pleased with myself for coming up with it.

If you are inclined to accept assistance, take Louis up on his offer. He's a very good fisherman and you could learn a great deal from him. He also has a really cool accent.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
KeystonerFebruary 4th, 2010, 12:26 pm

Like I said, All in good fun. I still hang with my bait fisherman friends. I strut around poo poo-ing powerbait, and they call me a pompous ass. It's great.

And yes, not only am I accepting of assistance, I crave it. I've picked up pretty much just from watching and reading, and more importantly, doing. But, there is much that I am foggy on.

So if Louis is "Martinlf" then by all means, invitation accepted!
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Flatstick96February 5th, 2010, 12:53 pm
Louis is indeed "Martinlf".

And I concur with Shawnny - spend a day on the stream with Louis and you'll be a better fisherman for it.
JOHNWFebruary 5th, 2010, 1:36 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Keystoner,
Have Louis show you the "other trico stream" he fishes. Definatly a great day on the water with the good Dr. Martin.

Louis,
You know the stream I mean!
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
KeystonerFebruary 6th, 2010, 11:41 am

Cool deal. I hope it works out.

As I'm typing this, there is a foot of snow on the ground and the wind is rattleing my windows. To say that I am ready for April would be the understatement of year.

I really look forward to meeting some of you, and benefiting from your experience!
MartinlfFebruary 6th, 2010, 5:18 pm
Palmyra PA

Keystoner, the Little Lehigh fishes well during the winter. Try tiny midges or scuds in the Heritage water, especially up near the outflow from the hatchery. Or glow bugs. Tight lines.

--Fred Chappell
McjamesFebruary 8th, 2010, 1:04 pm
Cortland Manor, NY

I am former keystoner, transplanted to westchester Co NY. Still have family and friends in Phila suburbs but its been a long time since I was west of the Lehigh river
I am haunted by waters
KeystonerFebruary 8th, 2010, 1:08 pm

Thanks for the tip(s). I will definatley give them a try!!

I have mostly been fishing nymphs, any thoughts?

Mostly I just HATE being cold. So it can get to be a drag when your out there trying to learn. Everything becomes frustrating about twice as fast. Trying to learn casting while your guides are being jammed with ice, and your fingers are cussing you out. Then, just as things seem to be dialing in, an icy gust puts your line into a tree, bushes, etc. But that's just me. Of course, I still go. I'm a firm believer that it really is "good just to get out there."

I do enjoy the fact that the winter months offer a lot of solitude. It's easy to have just about any spot all to yourself!!

Thanks again for the (continuing) help.
WbranchFebruary 8th, 2010, 1:45 pm
York & Starlight PA

Keystoner,

"Mostly I just HATE being cold. So it can get to be a drag when your out there trying to learn."

It's really great that you are so excited about learning to fly fish. However it is really going to be frustrating, and not nearly as much fun, to try and learn now. Just keep the excitement level up and go get some books at Borders or some other bookstore and get back out in early April.
KeystonerFebruary 9th, 2010, 12:33 pm

Done and done. I'm currently reading two different books, along with being addicted to the mags.

Dosen't matter. Cold and frustrating as it may be. I HAVE to get out there!
WbranchFebruary 9th, 2010, 4:57 pm
York & Starlight PA

Keystoner,

Your zeal to learn fly fishing reminds me of myself a lifetime ago. PM me if you want to go fishing with me sometime this year. I might be able to give you a few casting tips as well as other helpul info. Has to be during the week though.
OldredbarnFebruary 10th, 2010, 7:38 am
Novi, MI

Keystoner,

Now there's a generous offer! Matt...one of our resident "river-gods" is offering to take you fishing! You want to pass up "Fly-Fishing 101"...Take him up on it.

My mentor used to call me up during the winter when he knew I was watching Hockey Night in Canada and would growl at me through the phone, "Spence. You better be practising your knots! I'm not tying anything on for you come spring!"

Way to pass it on Matt!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
KeystonerFebruary 10th, 2010, 10:17 am

Cool deal. I look forward to it!

As far as the week day thing... ...I'll call off.

Like the bumper sticker says, "Work is for people who don't fish."
WbranchFebruary 13th, 2010, 4:49 am
York & Starlight PA

Since I initiated the discussion about getting together in May to meet and fish together I thought I would suggest the date. I was thinking of the weekend of May 22 & 23. It's usually impossible to find the "perfect" time frame to get a bunch of people together so there will likely be some who can't make it but that is a good period for me.
MartinlfFebruary 13th, 2010, 8:49 am
Palmyra PA

Matt, I'll pencil it in and see how things look closer to the date. --Louis

--Fred Chappell
JADFebruary 13th, 2010, 9:20 am
Alexandria Pa

Same as Louis

JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.