Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Somerset Fly Show

WbranchJanuary 23rd, 2010, 4:19 am
York & Starlight PA

Far many more people at show on Friday than I've ever experienced in all prior years. About five years ago I started arriving at 9:30 on Friday so I could get a place to park right in front of the main doors and get in to see the show before it got too crowded. Yesterday I got there a little later, around 10:00, and the front lot was closed as it was already full. I had to drive around to the front of the hotel to park.

Overall my impressions were there were far more outfitters and lodge owners than I ever remember from prior years and fewer fly shops. I go specifically to spend time with my best bud of fifty years who lives in NJ and to buy bulk CDC from Trouthunters. I was successful on both counts and bought bulk bags of light & dark natural CDC, and three bulk bags of slate, medium dun, and light dun dyed CDC, plus a bottle of preen oil. I also found a lovely half Whiting saddle in medium dun, 14 & smaller, that I picked up.

By 3:00 I had already walked the aisles about three times and was tired of being on my feet. I bid my buddy goodbye and "see you in May" and hit the road and was in York by 6:30.

Hopefully my CDC will last two years so I can avoid going out in 2011.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CaseyPJanuary 24th, 2010, 2:26 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

back from the show, and as Wbranch reports, Friday was very crowded. Saturday was about normal, but bearable, and Sunday AM was surprisingly relaxed. it seems everyone wanted to beat the rush by going Friday! it looked like one or two fewer fly shops and three or four more outfitters. that sounds odd but every guide i know has had no fall off in bookings. the economy seems to have gone after small businesses and left those with money to spend on fun as they were. the presentations were as good as ever. saw a new one on Fly Fishing Injuries and how to avoid them: hydration and core strength, to vastly oversimplify what the lady had to say. saw all my favorite authors and got some autographs--that has to be one of the best parts of this show, real face time with one's gurus.

and got to see our own Shawn Davis at his work--it's just as magical as you think it has to be to make such lovely things. sorry if i missed any others of you there--wait 'til next year!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Shawnny3January 25th, 2010, 3:52 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

It was a fun show. It was nice to see Casey and BFB - always a pleasure. I also enjoyed meeting John Dunn for a few minutes and digging up a little dirt on our buddy Louis in the meantime. I wish I'd gotten to meet Matt - Casey said his flybox was something to behold.

The Troutnut folks who attend these things should make it easy on each other and wear one of Jason's T-shirts to the show (that's how I met Casey for the first time, I believe). Give Jason a little free publicity, too - the least we can do for his keeping up this great site.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
MartinlfJanuary 25th, 2010, 7:14 pm
Palmyra PA

Uh oh, looks like I'll have to attend the next one of these to make sure too many lies aren't being told on my behalf. Glad you folks had a good time! Even if some of it was at my expense.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.