Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Have You Ever Floated Your Hat?, Page 2

FalsiflyNovember 26th, 2009, 10:23 pm
Hayward, WI.

Lit or not, he obviously had a good bite!
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
OldredbarnNovember 27th, 2009, 6:55 am
Novi, MI

Shawn & Duane,

Re: Your phone story. Years back, when cell phones were relatively new, I was walking down a path to one of my favorite fishing spots and a couple guys were walking the path as well. Turns out that they were from another state and I told them I'd show them where the steps to the river were. I told them that I had parked my vehicle downstream at a bridge and had walked up and if they wanted to fish with me that evening down to the car I would drive them back to theirs.

We had fished for a couple hours and were standing at the head of one of my favorite stretches. One of the guys turned to the other and said that they had forgotten to call the wives to let them know they had made it up safely. He then pulls out a cell phone and starts dialing.

At first I thought to myself, "What the hell...He won't get through anyway..." Then his wife answered. I said, "Hey! Fellas! I want you to know as a resident angler in Michigan I can pull your fishing licenses here! In fact I'm duty bound to" I tried as hard as I could to keep a straight face. "You aren't allowed to use a cell phone on Michigan rivers, man...It's in the rule book!"

Once I couldn't stop myself from laughing I told them that, "You are supposed to be dis-connected here....Not connected! Throw that damn thing in the river!"

After you told your story about dissappearing in to the hole on that gin-clear river I thought about an embarrassing moment of my own. I was walking to the river early in the morning at the Harriman Ranch section of the Henry's Fork. It was before Labor Day of 2004.

This piece of river is one of those places we anglers have all read about, dreamed about, and have on our wish list to visit one day. I had made it to the river and was walking in this tall, hip-deep, grass heading to a place in the river a friend of mine had told me to visit.
I'm just walking along, trying my best to look like the real-deal for any other anglers that might notice me.

All of a sudden, in a flash, I'm going down and I raised my arm in the air to try and save my rod. I had stepped in to a tiny sink-hole of a feeder creek that you couldn't see for all the grass. The only thing that saved me and the rod was the soft bed that the grass created as I fell. I stood up as quickly as I could and prayed no one was looking...I walked off like nothing happen.

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
OldredbarnNovember 27th, 2009, 7:08 am
Novi, MI

This is a quick one for JohnW...

I float, at the end of May, every year with a guide friend of mine on the Au Sable. It has become a tradition for us. We have known each other for 20 years at least and if we ever filmed any of our floats we would win, hands down, Americas Most Funniest Videos. He is a hoot!

I was introduced to him origianlly by a guy that is considered on the river, among the old-school, to be "the guy". Everyone knows that we are friends and they all think I have his latest and greatest flies hidden somewhere in one of my fly boxes. My guide friends little brother used to try and get me to let him nose around in my boxes all the time..."Hey! Spence...Let me see what Willy's tying up these days."

We were floating in the middle of the "Holy Water" and I was day dreaming a bit...My fly somehow hooked my friend right in his cap. He snuck a quick peek at what he thought was one of "Willy's flies" and said to me..."Hook me again in my cap Spence, and I keep the fly!"

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.