Scientific name search:

> > Chrysops callidus

FredHMay 30th, 2011, 3:27 pm
Lake Charles , Louisiana

http://www.realisticflytying.net
TroutnutMay 30th, 2011, 10:19 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Nice job on those wings! And the whole fly, really.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123May 30th, 2011, 11:07 pm
Oscoda, MI

Dang, Fred, if that landed on me I'd swat it! But then I'd really get stung by that hook...Oh, what a cruel joke to play on a fellow fly fisherman! "Hey man, you gotta deer fly on you!" *SMACK* OOOOOWWWWWWCH!!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TroutnutMay 30th, 2011, 11:51 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Oh, what a cruel joke to play on a fellow fly fisherman!

Very true! He could even place it on that fellow fisherman from a distance with a gentle cast... it just might be the perfect prank, until someone has to pay the emergency room bill. Maybe if he files the barb off...
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Flyman85May 31st, 2011, 5:26 am
I guess my mate is cruel then, hes had 1 lad under the chin and was pulling gently aswell, haha. And another on the top of his scalp! the lad wouldnt let him remove it saying his dad would do it PROPERLY, well unlucky his dad grabbed it with pliers on the shank and ripped it out, hahahahahahahaha

nice fly by the way
FredHMay 31st, 2011, 7:26 am
Lake Charles , Louisiana

I read that there are over 75 species of these little biters across North America .I think they were all in Louisiana this weekend.lol
Thanks for the kind words Jason and Jonathon.
Fred
http://www.realisticflytying.net
Jmd123May 31st, 2011, 1:09 pm
Oscoda, MI

I bet those big fat southern sunfish would snap that fly up in a second. Fred, you've got redbreasts down there, don't you? I miss catching those in Texas - they fed on caddis hatches at dusk just like trout. And they get big - 10" is not unusual. Though, I'm told there's some big sunfish here in MI if you know where to go.

Yeah, those deer flies will drive you insane. It would be bad enough if they just landed and bit you, but they have to circle your head at least 20 times to let you know first! They'll be here in MI any day now and I'm really not looking forward to it. The mosquitos and blackflies (and the tourists- funny how they all arrive at the same time!) are bad enough.

I did hook a teenager a few years ago in Ann Arbor at my favorite bass pond - he walked behind me while I was making a cast! (I have posted this story before but it's been a few years so here it is again for our recently joined members.) The funniest part of the story was that his mom was a nurse and thought she could do a better job of extracting the hook than me. I handed her the hemostats and she tried to do it carefully but all she did was make him holler, "OUCH, IT HURTS!!!" So I said let me do it - I clamped onto the bend of the hook, told him "ready?", and with one swift jerk popped it out, no hollering and he said it didn't even hurt...I think a bite from one of those deer flies would hurt considerably more, and then there's the itching later...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.