Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > confused

LeakywadersOctober 11th, 2008, 3:23 pm
New England

OK, I snuck on here while my husband is taking a showwer. not really leaky waders. His birthday is next week. He keeps mentioning a fly combination that he wants. I have been listening carefully. He wants either a seven or seven and a half rod with 2 weights and a Ross flex reel. I have a budget of $100 to $150. He has drug me to Cabelas numerous times and "shared" his catalogs so I am familiar with their store and caatalogs. Somebody tell me what I should buy and Please please be specific.
Drag free??? If the fly didn't drag, I wouldn't know where it was!!
GONZOOctober 11th, 2008, 5:35 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Mrs. Leakywaders,

Given the budget and your husband's specifications, the only thing that I can find is Cabela's Clear Creek Combo. I've never heard of a Ross "flex" reel, but you can get a 7' 2 wt. rod with a Ross Flystart reel and Cortland line for $150. (See page 18 of the 2008 Cabela's Fly Fishing Catalog. The order code for the combo would be TX-31-9933-702.)

There are other options, but they would probably involve getting a rod or a reel, but not both. Purchased individually, rods (other than the Clear Creek) in that length/line weight would be from $179-$310. (There are a few more options if you go up to a 3 wt.) Ross reels for lighter line weights start at $40 (for the Flystart) and go up to $265 (for the Evolution).

I hope that helps. If you were hoping to keep a secret, I can delete this post when you respond. ;)
LeakywadersOctober 27th, 2008, 6:42 pm
New England

OK, Its me, with the wet crotch...

I was sent to Cabulas and told to spend $200 of "her money" (she would pay me back) and "get the dam 2 wt" We were going to go together, but "life is what happens while you are making other plans."

I bought the TFO Lefty Kregh Finess combo, upgraded the reel to a G.Loomis (extra $40). While I was there I got a histerical call on the cell phone. Seems she lost her wallet at a tag sale (got a bike for our grandaughter for just $3 tho). But then the wallet might be in the car, the floor was covered with junk. I almost asked "How did you fill my car with junk in just 3 hours?" But held my tounge. I told her to call the bank. We have seperate finances, for I am no fool. That was Saturday.

On Monday, after she spent several hours on the phone, and cried a lot. I found out that when she called the bank Saturday she got a message and hung up (didn't call Master Charge). If she had listened to the rest of the message she would have gotten the special number for lost debit cards, blah, blah, blah

To make a VERY long story short whoever found the wallet managed to charge $500. Thus, I was told I better not cash the check she had given me for $300.

THE ROD IS GREAT!!!!!
Drag free??? If the fly didn't drag, I wouldn't know where it was!!
CaseyPDecember 20th, 2015, 8:13 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

in a gift-giving mood, and having some credit/debit card excitement, i just had to revive Leaky Waders and his Mrs.
whenever there is a gift to be bought for someone whose sport is not my own, i take a deep breath and go get a gift card from the appropriate merchant so that the recipient can get exactly the seven and a half rod with two weights that s/he wants!
Leaky, old buddy, did you ever fish with it?
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.