Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > More on this past weekend

SofthackleJune 9th, 2009, 12:55 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

This past weekend is usually our annual trip to Roscoe, NY, however to save us some money, we decided to skip the long trip and fish our home water, The Genesee River. The weekend started for Bill, my son-in-law, and I on Thursday evening. We fished one of our favorite spots, but there were so many insects, the fish kept switching preferences. We did catch fish, but the evening was a constant guessing game.

Friday morning was bright, sunny and cool. I had invited a friend, Ray Tucker, to join us. Ray lives a few hours away, and I thought it would be great for us to share some fishing time. The day clouded over in the afternoom, but there was no rain, and fishing continued to be fairly good through the day.We did get on and off showers in the evening, but continued to fish and took some nice browns before the sun sank behind the hills.

All the fish I took were taken on wingless wets.

It was great seeing Ray, and he supplied me with some of the photos.

Saturday morning was beautiful. Clear and sunny weather brought the water temps up a bit and the trout were very active. All my party, Mark, my son, Bill and my Grandson, Colin all took trout. I took two very nice browns on a cream colored flymph, fished just under the surface. Both fish were good size, with one of about 18". The other about 15".

Saturday evening found us searching for a place to fish. I have never seen so many fly fishermen on our river. (Looks like it's time to open a fly shop, here. It almost reminded me of being in Roscoe.) At any rate, we did find some water, and fishing was very good. The same Cream Flymph took most of my fish that evening, and again as the evening went on bug activity increased. The fish, once more, kept changing their preference, but we managed quite a few browns and feisty rainbows and the evening set in.

We returned home- 4 happy, tired, and contented fly fishermen. We could not have had a better weekend, even in Roscoe.

Check out the photos.
Tight lines, everyone,
Mark

Here's Bill working the water on Thursday evening.

Mark, myself and Colin checking out the water Friday morning.

Me-if my beard gets any whiter, I'll be playing Santa, soon.

Me, taking a fish off. Mark and Colin are downriver.

Me, playing one in.

An interesting stone fly Ray discovered.

Here's Ray, fishing upriver of me.

One of the beauties Ray took.

More of Ray's fish. Great photo Ray.

Here's Ray working a run in the Afternoon.

Mark and Colin in the run.

Where I fished Saturday Morining.

The first of two browns I took.

Second of the pair.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
GONZOJune 9th, 2009, 1:15 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Nice, Mark. Sounds like a good time was had by all. For what it's worth, I thought that Ray might like to know that the "stonefly" with the white bands on its wings is actually a fishfly (probably Nigronia fasciatus).
SofthackleJune 9th, 2009, 5:40 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Thanks, Lloyd. Ray had posted the photo on the Fly Tying Forum and Taxon identified it as well. I'd never seen that fly before on our water and found it very interesting. It was quite big.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
MartinlfJune 10th, 2009, 7:09 pm
Palmyra PA

Way cool photos, thanks Mark.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.