Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > NOT trout, (mostly*) NOT fly fishing...but still a blast with The Boys Back in Town (Chapter??)

Jmd123 has attached these 12 pictures. The message is below.
Shown Full Size
Todd scores a slimy toothy pike! 1st of about 6 for the weekend...
Todd scores a slimy toothy pike! 1st of about 6 for the weekend...
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.3X larger)
Joe did well on pike, he didn't even realize there were this many in his lake!
Joe did well on pike, he didn't even realize there were this many in his lake!
Shown Full Size
FAT BASSTARD! Took a blue & silver Rapala, christened a new spinning outfit!
FAT BASSTARD! Took a blue & silver Rapala, christened a new spinning outfit!
View Full SizeView Full Size (5.6X larger)
WATCH YOUR FINGERS! Mouth of a thousand teeth...
WATCH YOUR FINGERS! Mouth of a thousand teeth...
Shown Full Size
Another one...
Another one...
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.7X larger)
And another...did I say Joe did well on pike?
And another...did I say Joe did well on pike?
Shown Full Size
Our 4th man! Mark joined us & Hula-Poppered up 3 bass in the wee hours!
Our 4th man! Mark joined us & Hula-Poppered up 3 bass in the wee hours!
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.3X larger)
Joe did get a bass, too...
Joe did get a bass, too...
Captain Joe driving his pontoon boat
Captain Joe driving his pontoon boat
View Full SizeView Full Size (5.1X larger)
Sunset over Cooley Lake from Joe's dock
Sunset over Cooley Lake from Joe's dock
View Full SizeView Full Size (5.1X larger)
Friday dinner, PURCHASED not caught...Joe is an AMAZING cook & fed us WELL
Friday dinner, PURCHASED not caught...Joe is an AMAZING cook & fed us WELL
Joe & Susan's house from the lake
Joe & Susan's house from the lake
Jmd123July 16th, 2022, 9:57 am
Oscoda, MI

*There is ONE fly fishing story in here, I promise...

However, the technique of the weekend was TROLLING...very relaxed in Joe's pontoon boat at Joe's place this time! His 1st time hosting, and he did a fine job! Due to his success with slimy green toothy things, Joe's new nickname is "3-PIKE"!! As in, "Yo, 3-pike, what up!!"

The bass were fun, too, and our 4th man, Mark, did well with a Hula Popper on our post-midnight 12-2 a.m. cruise! Todd & I did an early one on Saturday but just got a few smaller bass.

*And this leads into the one fly-fishing story
..Joe often has a Fat Basstard cruising the shallows near his dock, on fact one came out from under the dock on Saturday morning as Todd & I were ready to head out...so Saturday evening this freakin' submarine is cruising around tempting me, & it looks maybe 16"...I get my fun little 7.5' 3-weight & pitch a #10 chartreuse Woolly Bugger at it...takes a few shots but finally it turned and hit...and it's more like 19-20" and goes NUTS on the little stick! After much for thrashing & rod-bending fatboy popped off...hence no picture..."it is better to have hooked & lost than to never get a hit!!"

Another great adventure with the boys! Enjoy! Next trip WILL involve more fly fishing (September, look for it)...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
MartinlfJuly 16th, 2022, 11:37 am
Palmyra PA

Looks like, as a friend used to say, "Good great fun!" We are lucky to have fishing buddies, and the time we get to spend with them. I certainly am happy to see pike and bass photos, and doubt anybody cares how they were caught.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
JerryCJuly 16th, 2022, 6:11 pm
Philadelphia, PA

Nice, I'm heading up to a lake in NE Ontario with a life long fishing buddy at the end of August. No largemouth, but I'm looking forward to catching both smallmouth and pike on my fly rod. I split my fishing about 50-50 between the fly rod and spinning gear on the trip. These days I find myself doing less trout fishing and more warm water fly fishing. Largemouth, smallmouth and chain pickerel are my favorite targets.
"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Jmd123July 17th, 2022, 7:08 am
Oscoda, MI

I would have liked to do more fly rodding, but with 3-4 rods going @ once in 1 boat, it could have gotten dangerous...& I have done well on this lake with a flyrod, including a 19.5" 5-lb. smallmouth right off Joe's dock! He gets some nice panfish in the shallows too. But covering the water by trolling was the way to find fish. Relaxing to to let someone drive you around in a boat! Nice weather too!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
MichimikeJuly 18th, 2022, 2:49 am
Bancroft, Michigan

Looks like fun! Looking forward to the next chapter.
Mike.
Jmd123July 19th, 2022, 9:55 am
Oscoda, MI

BTW JerryC, never caught a chain yet myself, how do they fight on a fly rod? It's been a few years but I have flyrodded up a few pike, mostly on heavy (9-10 weight) rods. They hit HARD & give me a pretty good tussle, & MUCH easier to unhook without all the damned trebles!

Jonathon
AdirmanJuly 21st, 2022, 4:04 am
Monticello, NY

Great pics - thanks for sharing!! Always a pleasure to live through vicariously through fellow fishermans exploits when I cant get out myself!!

Next time, you should break out that flyrod, though, and show em how its done!!

Peace,

David
JerryCJuly 26th, 2022, 5:47 pm
Philadelphia, PA

BTW JerryC, never caught a chain yet myself, how do they fight on a fly rod? It's been a few years but I have flyrodded up a few pike, mostly on heavy (9-10 weight) rods. They hit HARD & give me a pretty good tussle, & MUCH easier to unhook without all the damned trebles!

Jonathon

Chain Pickerel are a blast. I like fishing top water for them. The lakes we fish in the Poconos are loaded with them. They can be a PITA if you're wanting to catch bass. The biggest one I caught on a fly rod is 21 inches, caught while fishing for bass in a small lake in South Jersey.
The only time I get a chance to fish for pike is when I head up to a lodge in NE Ontario. My main target with the fly rod there are smallmouth so I use a 6 wgt. Most of the pike I catch are in the 20 to 24 inch range. Heading up there in a month.
"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
AdirmanJuly 29th, 2022, 5:01 am
Monticello, NY

Pickerel on topwaters with a Fly rod is AWESOME!! Ive found , though that by midsummer, its not that effective a method to catch them; usually, best in May/ Early June IMHO. Lotsa fun, though!!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.