Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Anybody know the genus and species?

The Specimen

Isogenoides hansoni (Appalachian Springfly) Stonefly NymphIsogenoides hansoni (Appalachian Springfly) Stonefly Nymph View 11 PicturesThis large Perlodidae stonefly was a strikingly bright yellow color, more so than any other insect I've seen. I didn't enhance it much. See the discussion threads to follow how we identified this specimen, which was listed incorrectly for several years.
Collected April 19, 2006 from Mongaup Creek in New York
Added to Troutnut.com by on April 21, 2006

The Discussion

TroutnutJuly 7th, 2006, 7:46 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

This stonefly comes from a fertile, cold small stream in the Catskills. I tried to ID it using the key to genera in Merritt & Cummins but I ended up with a fairly confident identification that can't be correct: Arcynopteryx, a western mountain genus. So I'm stuck at couplet 89 in the M&C key.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
TaxonJuly 10th, 2006, 7:16 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Jason-

Guess I posted this response in the wrong place, as it didn't show up here. I realize you've already acknowledged the information somewhere else, but I'm re-posting it here for others to see.

Not to despair; this is what American Stoneflies: A Photographic Guide to the Plecoptera by Bill P. Stark, Stanley W. Szezytko, and C. Ridley Nelson has to say about genus Arcynopteryx:

"This genus is represented in North America by A. compacta (McLachlan). This species ranges from Alaska to Maine and has been reported as far south as Colorado. Males usually have shortened wings and are easily recognized by the long, lash-like epiproct tip. Females and nymphs are quite similar to Skwala. A. compacta has been collected around alpine lakes in the northern Rocky Mountains. No photographs are available for this group."

Also, Arcynopteryx compacta is listed by Stark/Baumann as residing in New York.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Dsc1October 14th, 2008, 1:49 pm
Not Arcynopteryx - they look quite different. It DOES look like Cultus verticalis, but you would have to have gone a different direction in interpreting the mesosternal sulci to get to Cultus. Found occasionally in cold, northern streams in New Hampshire (Arcynopteryx here also, but only one specimen so far). Another species or two of Cultus could possibly be candidates, but larvae in this group are not characterized for the species, with verticalis being the best candidate based on distribution.
TroutnutOctober 14th, 2008, 7:00 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Thanks for the reply! Always good to hear from someone who really knows some of these bugs.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
SheinzFebruary 10th, 2009, 9:40 am

Is the color true on the pictures?

These bugs look similar in shape to what I've found on branches and rocks all over Maine, but the photos you have posted look much yellower, and I've yet to see one 2.5 inches long. Based on other photos, it seems like the colors tend to be lighter than you'd observe stream side, I assume due to the artificial light you need to use to get decent depth of field and sharpness.

Most of the stone fly nymphs up here are more cream colored underneath with a darker back and might go 2 inches.

I'm trying to improve the version I tie. Are these pictures likely the same bug?

TroutnutFebruary 10th, 2009, 7:28 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Sheinz,

Your bugs are probably different species of stonefly in the same family, Perlodidae. This specimen really was strikingly yellow. The bright light helps, but this one would certainly stand out in a bucket anyway.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
SheinzFebruary 12th, 2009, 8:56 am

Thanks for the response.

Based on your reply, then would I be well advised try to imitate his shape and tie away? I'm liking moose mane for tails, tan antron yarn for the body, brown swiss straw (raffia) for the wing case, and plastic key chain eyes.

What do you like for legs?

SheinzFebruary 12th, 2009, 9:31 am
Posts: 3If I can build on my last post, after looking around some more on your site - isn't what I've been seeing more likely to be a Perlidae?
TroutnutFebruary 12th, 2009, 12:13 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Now that I re-read your description, that does seem more likely. Only you know what you saw... just find the Perlid or Perlodid that looks the most like it here, and tie from that. :)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.