Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Arcynoptryx compacta name change

This topic is about the Stonefly Species Arcynopteryx compacta.

The Discussion

BnewellJuly 26th, 2012, 10:56 pm
Site Editor
Kennewick, Washington

In a recent publication the name of this species was changed to Skwala compacta.
PaulRobertsJuly 27th, 2012, 12:12 pm
Colorado

Thanks for the update.
EntomanJuly 27th, 2012, 1:41 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the heads-up. I pasted your comment on the species page from your previous blog on this topic. Do you have the name of the paper and any photos you could share?

BTW - In a recent post that fell off the board before you probably saw it, Taxon asked if you were aware of any reason why the Plecoptera Society's list hasn't been updated since '09? The change you mention hasn't shown up there yet, which means there may be others? The hatch pages depend on this site for stoneflies as they do Clemson's list for caddis and Purdue's for mayflies. These have been the guidelines used for the taxonomic listings here as it is the understanding (hope) they represent the general consensus and are updated on a regular basis.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GONZOJuly 27th, 2012, 8:55 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Do you have the name of the paper...?

"A Taxonomic Revision of the Genus Arcynopteryx Klapalek, 1904 (Plecoptera, Perlodidae)" Teslenko, 2012. The abstract is available here: http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2012/f/z03329p018f.pdf
EntomanJuly 27th, 2012, 11:18 pm
Northern CA & ID

Thanks, Gonzo. By chance, have you heard anything regarding Taxon's question?
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GONZOJuly 28th, 2012, 9:14 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

I don't know what (if anything) determines the frequency of updates, Kurt, but that list has the additional drawback of of not listing the date with the nominating author and does not include synonyms. Personally, I find this site much more useful: http://plecoptera.speciesfile.org/HomePage.aspx
Although the recent change in the status of Arcynopterx/Skwala compacta is not (yet?) reflected on the species page, the paper that proposes the change is included in the reference list on the Arcynopteryx genus page.
EntomanJuly 28th, 2012, 6:01 pm
Northern CA & ID

Thanks, Gonzo. And thanks for mentioning the link!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.