Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Caddisfly adult ID

This topic is about the Insect Order Trichoptera

Some say caddisflies are even more important than mayflies, and they are probably right. The angling world has taken a while to come to terms with this blasphemy. Caddis imitations are close to receiving their fare share of time on the end of the tippet, but too many anglers still assume all caddisflies are pretty much the same.

Caddis species actually provide as much incentive to learn their specifics as the mayflies do. There is just as much variety in their emergence and egg-laying behaviors, and as many patterns and techniques are needed to match them. Anglers are hampered only by the relative lack of information about caddisfly behavior and identification. Read more...

There are 124 more specimens...

The Discussion

DryflyDecember 18th, 2009, 8:27 pm
rochester mn

I have a basic understanding of caddis fly IDing when it comes to the larva, but how do you tell the adults apart. You can never have enough useless bug knowledge. :)
CrenoDecember 18th, 2009, 8:51 pm
Grants Pass, OR

from a fishers perspective start with Thomas Ames' new book Caddisflies. If that is not enough for ya let me know and I will find whatever is good at that time. Depending on what you want you may not need any more than Ames' book.
creno
DryflyDecember 18th, 2009, 10:10 pm
rochester mn

Thanks
CrenoDecember 19th, 2009, 9:56 am
Grants Pass, OR

If you would rather use a pc than paper, here is an interesting approach I forgot about. http://www.entomology.umn.edu/museum/projects/keys/
Ralph Holzenthal's UofMN site has lots of other useful information for folks interested in caddis and is updated fairly frequently.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.