Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Perlodid

PaulRobertsMay 4th, 2012, 11:54 am
Colorado

Any guesses as to who this is? It's a pretty good sized "golden stone" although it's not very golden -a pale translucent underside and mostly the dorsum mostly in browns. I'd tie it in a size 10 3xl.

EntomanMay 4th, 2012, 11:25 pm
Northern CA & ID

I don't recognize the head capsule pattern off the top of my head, but it sure looks like a perlodid to me Paul, either a Springfly or Stripetail. A few answered questions might help us nail down the genus. Did it have thoracic gills? How about longitudinal abdominal striping (can be very feint). If we can get the choices down to a couple of genera, I'll look though what I've got to see if I can come up with a head match. Your specimen looks pretty distinctive.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRobertsMay 5th, 2012, 8:30 pm
Colorado

No striping. There were some striped (Isoperlid?) guys there. I didn't think to look at gills. If there were, they were small and not visible from the topside (only images I have). Didn't expect to post this originally.
EntomanMay 6th, 2012, 3:28 am
Northern CA & ID

Well, your answers don't make it as easy as hoped.:) If it had gills they would be small and finger-like or even bumps emanating from the thoracic joints behind the legs and perhaps even from the cervical joint. FWIW I'm not seeing any evidence of them in the photo, though it must be conceded that reliable determinations are much easier if the critter is held upside down for a good close-up of the thorax and head. What to look for are the presence of gills and a good look at the mouth parts and mesosternum.

Assuming a lack of gills, of the five genera lacking this character known for CO, four are represented by single species. Of these four, Cultus is too small and Diura, Arcynopteryx and Skwala look different both in pattern and conformation (wing pad shape, legs, etc.).

While the remaining genus usually has stripes, their absence is not as diagnostic as once thought and the thick narrow cervix, shape of the wingpads, and antennae length sure look right. I'm thinking Isoperla and will start looking there for a head capsule match. Hopefully one exists, though there are at least 11 species reported from CO and to my knowledge many have never been photographed.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRobertsMay 6th, 2012, 11:46 am
Colorado

I'll photo both sides next time.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.