Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Best time of year to harvest hellgramites

This topic is about the Insect Family Corydalidae

Hellgrammites are the vicious larvae of the Dobsonflies, some of the only trout stream insects which pose a biting threat to the angler. The pincers of the adult are even more frightening that the larva's, and they're aggressive enough to use them once in a while.

This family's life cycle does not create good dry fly opportunities, but the larvae may be eaten by trout year-round. They are a secret told only by stomach samples of well-fed trout. Read more...

There are 6 more specimens...

The Discussion

RblouserJune 27th, 2008, 9:58 am
york pa

I have just recently started fishing with hellgies and need some info on the best time of year for catching, bait. Any insight will be greatly appreciated
GONZOJune 27th, 2008, 3:34 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Because Hellgrammites live in the water for several years, they are always available. Here's how many of the old-time smallmouth fishermen along the Susquehanna collect the larvae:

First, they take a large (~3' by 3') section of window screening and attach a strong stick or large dowel along either side to make a seine. Then, they head to a section of the river that is shallow, rocky, and easy to wade. They stand in the current, holding the screen downstream, and kick around in the rocks. Before long, they have a good supply of the big uglies for bait.

Just remember that there is a limit on "fishbait," and watch where you put your fingers! ;)

RoosterUBCMay 4th, 2009, 3:43 pm
Posts: 1After harvesting Hellgramittes - is there a good, particular, best way to store them or keep them for longer periods of time? Assuming I harvest in May, how long are they likely to last before they do whatever it is hellgramittes do naturally? ie: live, die, evolve, morph, etc...
WHITEOAK79June 17th, 2009, 12:33 pm
Posts: 1I keep my hellgramites in a homemade minnie tank (old chest freezer sealed with silicone and a new thermostat to keep the water at 50 degrees, and a large aerator from the local pet store) It only cost me about $25 total. But before I built that I used to keep them in a tupperware bowl w/ a lid in the refrigerator, make sure you poke holes in it. Put about 3" of water in it... I've never had one die on me. But now that I think about it, I've never kept them longer than a few days!

Hope this helps... good luck!
If you keep em', what will you catch next time?
TomApril 2nd, 2010, 6:04 pm
Missouri

The following facts apply to clippers:
--Difficult too find in small streams and screening in authorized trout streams may be illegal.
--Old guys, like myself, feel for the clippers under the rocks, in fast water, in the river. Pick up the rock slowly and slide your hands under the rock. The clipper will, in most cases, be easy too feel. Put the clipper into a small baitcan. This method is also used for stone caddys. If your up too it, wear a hat, and every time you get a clipper put him in your hair. He will stay there until you remove him. It is best to get clippers from June on through August. Why? Because its warmer when you wade.
--Another way too get clippers is too dig in gravel, along the shore, when the stream or river drops its water levels. Use a small flower tool, three pronged.
--Store clippers in a four by four metal container. Put old newsaper in the tin and cover it with burlap. Keep burlap moist.
Good Luck
Tom
AfishinadoApril 4th, 2010, 5:00 am
SE PA

Tom from Missouri?!?.....I took a peek at your profile and it said: "Old fisherman who was raised in Pa along the Susquehanna River."
I knew it! I would bet somewhere in or near the Wyoming Valley (Wilkes=Barre / Scranton)

Good stuff. Your post brought back some great memories. All true and good advice BTW.
OldredbarnApril 5th, 2010, 7:41 am
Novi, MI

Fellas!

"Fly Fishing for Trout is the greatest sport in the world. On any level it is an exciting encounter with nature. On the highest level, it is a chance to match wits not against a fish, but against the power of evolution itself to hone a creature's instinct for scrutiny to masterful levels. Coaxing a selective trout into taking your fly is the most satisfying challenge in fishing.

This site is both a scientific reference to help you catch more trout while fly fishing and a photographic tribute to our trout streams."

This is from the introduction to this site...I hate to step on anyone's bunnions, but maybe you should visit a Bass Pro site for bait harvesting info. We will be more than happy to show you how to tie one of Harry Murray's Hellgrammite imitations or a dark colored Woolly Bugger...Here's hoping a Corydalis cornutus nips you on the end of your bait grubbing little fingers...I have a feeling you already knew this and were trying to prick ours a bit...What do you think?

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Guidefish00June 29th, 2010, 12:51 pm
Banned
NY

This site really gives me more info regarding fishing. I just started fishing with my buddies. I never thought I could appreciate fishing, and now I've been looking forward to it everyday. I have learned a lot from this site and every post in here regarding fishing gives me ideas. Thanks a lot! Looking forward for more in here..

Jun K.
This Link was Spam, but now it goes to Google
DitchJuly 1st, 2010, 9:12 am
Fuquay-Varina NC

Harry is only about 5 miles from me something local.
There are no bad fishing days.
FishforfunJuly 28th, 2013, 2:11 pm
Fellas!

"Fly Fishing for Trout is the greatest sport in the world. On any level it is an exciting encounter with nature. On the highest level, it is a chance to match wits not against a fish, but against the power of evolution itself to hone a creature's instinct for scrutiny to masterful levels. Coaxing a selective trout into taking your fly is the most satisfying challenge in fishing.

This site is both a scientific reference to help you catch more trout while fly fishing and a photographic tribute to our trout streams."

This is from the introduction to this site...I hate to step on anyone's bunnions, but maybe you should visit a Bass Pro site for bait harvesting info. We will be more than happy to show you how to tie one of Harry Murray's Hellgrammite imitations or a dark colored Woolly Bugger...Here's hoping a Corydalis cornutus nips you on the end of your bait grubbing little fingers...I have a feeling you already knew this and were trying to prick ours a bit...What do you think?

Spence

It's elitist jerks like yourself that give fly fishing a bad name. I love picking up the fly rod and matching wits against a wily trout but I certainly have no problem with how others choose to fish. When I'm intending to limit out on stocked fish for dinner I'll sometimes bait up and when I remember how all you "elite club" members react I have no problem with that either. The person asked for advice. The person got advice. If you don't agree or didn't have anything meaningful to add you could have just ignored it. Instead you had to pull out your elitist card and tell someone they shouldn't be here. Everyone has to start somewhere. I doubt the first rod you held was a fly rod with a fly you tied yourself on the end. An attitude like yours virtually guarantees that novice angler who just wanted some advice will walk away with a distaste for fly fishing/fly fishermen.
TaxonJuly 28th, 2013, 3:07 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Fishforfun-

Hmm. I find it interesting that anyone would dig up a post which was made over three years ago, and use it as a launching pad to insult someone by calling that person a jerk.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
AdirmanJuly 28th, 2013, 6:23 pm
Monticello, NY

I agree, that's a bit too aggressive a post for a newbie!! Ive been on this forum about 3 yrs now and STILL consider myself a novice/newbie (well, kinda!)! Oh well, doubt this guys for real anyway!!
FalsiflyJuly 28th, 2013, 7:26 pm
Hayward, WI.

elitist card

Popeil Pocket Fisherman $16.99
1 Doz. live Hellgremmites $4.00
Limit of stocked fish for dinner....Pricless
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
SapperstyleJune 11th, 2019, 9:28 pm
PA

Tom, I've fished the Shenandoah River North and especially the South Fork for 40 years. You were right on with your explanation! I usually start to look early June when the water level is at a level to pick up decent sized rocks. Bass and catfish crush hellgremites! Have fun out there fellas!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.