Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Nippers?

MartinlfFebruary 19th, 2013, 12:22 am
Palmyra PA

OK, it's time to replace the nippers. You guys did such a good job with the fly box recommendations, I thought I'd ask about this. I'm not up for a $50 Abel nipper, but am looking at the Montana Fly Company Tungsten Carbide ones for about 12.00. Anybody used them? Other recommendations?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Pryal74February 19th, 2013, 1:50 am
Escanaba, MI

These are what I use. I find them invaluable.

http://www.montanafly.com/Camo/0-90-0771.html
-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing
CrepuscularFebruary 19th, 2013, 9:02 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Angler's Image. They hold up really really well, stay sharp and do not corrode. I usually buy two at time and the last time I bought them was at least 5 years ago and I'm still using the first one. I think they are around $15.00
MartinlfFebruary 19th, 2013, 9:27 am
Palmyra PA

Eric, where do you purchase them? Found this review for Angler's Image nippers on George Anderson's Yellowstone Angler website. Looks good:

Shop Favorite. What makes Angler’s Image line clipper our all time favorite? Simply their ability to stay sharp far, far longer than any other clippers we've ever used. Nothing dulls clippers faster than cutting large diameter 60-80 lb. fluorocarbon for tarpon leaders. Most clippers last about a week. These will easily last you two full seasons of 100 days of tarpon fishing - and still stay sharp! They come with a sharp retractable needle, good for cleaning out the eyes of hooks, even down to very small hook sizes. The D-ring at top is handy too for holding the hook of your fly while you tie a Homer Rhode loop knot or straighten out your tarpon leader.

--Fred Chappell
GutcutterFebruary 19th, 2013, 9:38 am
Pennsylvania

I get a new cap on my right first incisor each February.
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
MartinlfFebruary 19th, 2013, 10:08 am
Palmyra PA

Been there, done that. When I was a teenager, casting Mepps and Rapalas, I couldn't fish without a bit-off piece of mono between my teeth. I'd chew on it all day, catching smallies. My current dentist recommends I use the other kind of nippers on a zinger, though. Who do you go to, Tony? Perhaps I just need a new dentist.

--Fred Chappell
CrepuscularFebruary 19th, 2013, 11:27 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Eric, where do you purchase them?
I think Bass pro has them in the fly section. They are nice I use them in the salt as well with no issues.
EntomanFebruary 19th, 2013, 4:23 pm
Northern CA & ID

I get a new cap on my right first incisor each February.

Ha! Days of using my teeth to cut mono are long since over (age, chewing tobacco). Having no clippers is a prelude to a very bad day. I'm normally a stickler for quality gear, but not in this case. I go through nippers like popcorn, always have for some reason. Since all I'm using them for is mono for salmonids, the cheap ones do fine. Even they don't hang around long enough to go dull. My only requirements are that they are black, have straight or convex edges, and don't have swiveling levers. I put up with the useless bodkins they usually have that always seem to tangle with the cord they hang from. I buy them by the gross and have them stuck everywhere.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularFebruary 19th, 2013, 7:57 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Yeah my dentist, who has replaced all my front teeth from my hockey days does not recommend biting off any mono or fluorocarbon.
MartinlfFebruary 20th, 2013, 1:18 pm
Palmyra PA

Well boys, I found a novel way to address my problem. Didn't think it would work, but I took my Tiemco ceramic hook hone, and I just sharpened the nippers I already have (Dr. Slick, I believe). Alignment was my concern, since they had never cut 7X all that well on one side. But they now cut better than new.

--Fred Chappell
SayfuFebruary 23rd, 2013, 10:32 am
I just ordered two fly boxes, the best boxes IMO I have ever owned. They were $18.95 fly shop priced, reduced to $7.99. and now on closeout for $4.99, and you got a pair of nippers FREE with a purchase. I've know ordered 4 of the fly boxes. Nippers are no longer a problem of mine.
EntomanFebruary 23rd, 2013, 5:19 pm
Northern CA & ID

Jere,

Good to hear from you again! What are the boxes? Perhaps it's best to put that answer in the boxes topic that's still up...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.