Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Proper handling of trout for photography.

AndyV has attached this picture. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.9X larger)
The best shots for the fish are those where they stay in the water...
The best shots for the fish are those where they stay in the water...
AndyVOctober 10th, 2022, 5:07 pm
Twin Cities

I see way too many shots of fish on land or on land next to a net looking for that "perfect" shot. I believe this sends a really bad message, especially to new entrants into this wonderful sport. As beautiful as trout are, they are equally fragile. Here are a few things to consider when handling and taking pictures of trout.

1. First and foremost, never handle fish with dry hands or let them touch the ground. They have a layer of mucus aka "slime" on them which protects them from disease, fungus and bacteria. Also make sure your hands are free of suntan lotion or insect repellent.
2. The longer you have to play a fish, the less it should be out of the water. Lactic acid builds up and this is not good for them. If you had to play a fish for a while, make sure to get it into the water and, if you can, hold its tail and gently move it back and forth in calm water to help it get oxygen before releasing.
3. If you winter fish, don't take the fish out of the water if it can be helped. Cold air can freeze their gills. In the summer, if water temps hit 70, don't fish, move upstream or to another river - it's hard enough for the fish to survive at that temp let alone survive a fight on a tight line. Preferably, I recommend water temps ≤ 66ºF.
4. Never let the fish be out of water more than 15 seconds.I recommend 10 seconds max. I really try to wet release fish when possible. My biggest trout was a 24 incher in Montana - I only have an image of it in my net, I released it within 5 seconds of landing and never picked it up. I know studies say 30 seconds max but that takes how long you've played it, water and air temps into consideration (and some studies show a 38% death rate at 30 seconds... not good).
5. If your fish is feisty, try turning it belly up to remove a hook - it disorients them. If your fish took the hook deep, simply cut your line and leave it. Never hold a fish tight, you can damage internal organs. Never hold them by their gills or touch their gills.

Every time I see those pristine trout on land next to a net pics, I cringe. Hopefully, some day you will too. Now there is one exception to that, if you are on a river that you know to have a sustainable population with little fishing pressure OR one that is primarily stocked and you are going to eat that fish, have at it. But I still recommend not posting those pics online (as stated, I think it sends a bad message), anyone wanting to take such a pic and then releasing that fish should know they have greatly increased the chance it will die. The person catching and releasing 15 fish improperly is likely killing more fish than the one who just kept one or 2 to eat.

Hopefully you guys and gals take this to heart when fishing for trout. I love taking a quick action shot while bringing a fish in or a quick shot in the net or just after release.

Regards,

Andy

MartinlfOctober 14th, 2022, 10:58 am
Palmyra PA

Agreed. I actually don't carry a camera, and only get shots when I have a partner or guide who can set up the shot for a quick out of the water, then back in for release.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123October 15th, 2022, 8:47 am
Oscoda, MI

I have Measure Nets (TM) which have a built-in scale...keeping them in the net for pics shows how big they are!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
SmallflyguyOctober 17th, 2022, 12:22 pm
Deception is my art
Jmd123October 18th, 2022, 9:59 am
Oscoda, MI

No net @ the time, & not expecting 1 that big (17")...it happens.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123October 18th, 2022, 10:12 am
Oscoda, MI

Now I remember why no net...my buddies said I wouldn't need it cuz they have them...then we ended up separated & mine was in the truck @ least a mile away. Otherwise it would have been.

I have been a C&R man since childhood..."wet your hand before you unhook 'em!" Truth be known, probably 80% of what I have caught on fly rods is in the family Centrarchidae...

Jonathon
SmallflyguyOctober 19th, 2022, 6:51 am
Posts: 19Aye, the gentleman claims a 17 incher but conveniently leaves his proof providing
Measure Nets (TM) which have a built-in scale
behind at the truck. At the urging of his buddies no less. I ask of those who fish with buddies when, if ever, were you urged to leave your net behind because you wouldn't need it cuz they have them? All fishermen are inherently stretchers of the truth.
Deception is my art
Jmd123October 20th, 2022, 8:57 am
Oscoda, MI

I am NOT lying...if you don't want the truth, stop reading my posts. You on here to pick a fight or something? Holier than thou? Not welcome on this site...& I think I've been here a bit longer than you (2600 posts vs....19). 'Nuf said.

Jonathon
MartinlfOctober 20th, 2022, 9:18 am
Palmyra PA

Maybe he's just teasing a little. When he says "all fishermen" he includes himself. Or, perhaps it's just projection. But I know you know how to measure. Most scientists do. Oh, and I've had that conversation about nets, and agreed with buddies to just carry one.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123October 21st, 2022, 9:19 am
Oscoda, MI

Don't know why I let them talk me out of carrying it...they assumed we would be nearby each other, yet at that 1st spot I stopped & said, "this looks good to me"...& it was! But they kept going upriver another half mile...I posted the story back in March. Only trout I have caught this year...tried a local stream that's never impressed me & it failed to do so again, twice. Nice weekend coming up, gonna hit the lake for panfish & bass!

Jonathon

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.