Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Spring Creek Wednesday February 11

WbranchFebruary 8th, 2009, 11:50 am
York & Starlight PA

The weather in State college is expected to be in the fifties on Wednesday. I'm going to go up for the day and hopefully get into some fish on little nypmhs and who knows there may be some rising fish too. If anyone from the York, Harrisburg area would like to tag along and split the gas with me I'm sure we could work out a place to meet and leave your car. PM me if interested - I'd likely leave York NLT 6:30 a.m. as it is a two + hour drive, fish NLT 4:00 p.m. and head home.

Spring Creek Brown

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CaseyPFebruary 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

this evening my spies will report on what the prognosis is for Wed. right now there is "chocolate milk running through my back yard" according to my latest informant. the snow melted all at once, i guess.

if there is any hope at all, i might join you. Mercersburg is not on your route, so can't help with gas, but i could stop for the sandwiches. i'm sitting down tonight to tie some tiny stuff in anticipation.

"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
WbranchFebruary 8th, 2009, 4:58 pm
York & Starlight PA

I was unaware of the stream condition - if it is dirty I don't want to waste the money on gas. I'd rather wait until conditions are more favorable - I'll look at the USGS site for Milesburg - do you know where that station is in relation to the bridge at the end of FFP?

I looked and it was running 150 - 160 cfs for since February 01 until yesterday when it went vertical to 238 cfs and it appears to be holding at that flow rate. I'd go if it drops to no more than 180 cfs.

CaseyPFebruary 8th, 2009, 6:33 pm

the chocolate referred to was on Spruce Creek, but conditions are often very similar between there and Spring Creek.

been told the end of the week will be much better. Tuesday is supposed to be rainy.
WbranchFebruary 9th, 2009, 10:00 am
York & Starlight PA

Looks like above Logan Branch (behind the Stamp Museum or whatever you call it) Spring Creek is running 91 cfs, below where Logan Branch enters it is running 200 cfs.
Shawnny3February 9th, 2009, 1:52 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Wish I'd seen this thread earlier - I drive over Spring Creek on my way home from work (which was about an hour ago), but I'd have to get off on a side street to see the actual stream conditions. If I think of it, I'll take a look after work tomorrow and PM you, Matt. We went from 5 degrees to 50 degrees in two days, and about a foot of snow melted in a day. That day was yesterday (Feb 8th), and almost all the snow is now gone, so by Wednesday I'd think the water will be fine. But tomorrow I'll try to remember and check for sure.

If I didn't have this silly thing called a job, I'd try to get out with you guys on Wednesday. But...

-Shawn

P.S. This has been a really cold winter for us so far this year - this is the first real melt we've had. Funny, you don't get many people talking about Global Warming when it's in the single digits. But get one unseasonably warm day and the sky resumes falling. Good stuff.
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Shawnny3February 10th, 2009, 3:13 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

PMed you, Matt.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
WbranchFebruary 10th, 2009, 5:21 pm
York & Starlight PA

Casey,

I'm going up to SC as planned - I drive an all silver Subaru Legacy wagon. I like to fish the stretch just above the bridge on Rte 150?? there is a parking area just upstream of the bridge a couple hundred yards. I also like the run about 100 yards below the first bridge downstream from Fishermen's Paradise and also the run on the back side of Bellafonte upstream of Logan Branch - Should be there by 9:00.
WbranchFebruary 10th, 2009, 5:37 pm
York & Starlight PA

Now I'm confused - Accuweather says rain after 3:00 but the weather Channel is saying shoers strating at 6:00 a.m. and continuing all day. Maybe I'd better forget SC and take a drive to the Little Lehigh - about the same distance and a bit less time. Since I live in York Allentown is about the same distance away as Bellefonte
CaseyPFebruary 10th, 2009, 7:11 pm

watching THIS seems to indicate that the further north you go, the less chance of rain. Allentown would be a better bet, methinks. tight lines!
Shawnny3February 11th, 2009, 3:01 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Sorry not to PM you as well, Casey. I just heard from my wife that it's supposed to be really nasty tomorrow (Thursday), with high winds and low temps, but today we had a beautiful day. Sounds like you guys hit it right if you went today. Otherwise, you might want to hold off.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
WbranchFebruary 11th, 2009, 3:43 pm
York & Starlight PA

Did fair - caught one 10" and one 12" on BH PT's. Don't like using indicators so got crap on my flies almost every cast. Saw about twenty guys and every single one of them had some sort of little bobber on the leader. They caught more fish than I did - one guy told me he caught eight and that was before the two he caught while I was taking off my boots. Still a great day to be out - 64 degrees when I left at 4:00.
CaseyPFebruary 11th, 2009, 5:50 pm

wound up on a different creek closer to home, and it was a lovely day! guess I shouldn't be so concerned with rain forecasts; sweet, but not made of sugar, our girl!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.