Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Whitefish, MT area in mid-July?

JoakimJuly 17th, 2020, 9:42 pm
Sweden

Me and my way better half is considering to go to a music festival in Whitefish, MT in July next year. And we are wondering how the waters around there are around that time (normally), is it there a risk of heavy run-off at that time?
JoakimJuly 17th, 2020, 9:58 pm
Sweden

If I need to mention, the trip will only happen in case the pandemic situation allows.
MartinlfJuly 18th, 2020, 1:38 pm
Palmyra PA

Joakim, perhaps someone on here will know better than I do. If Matt sees this he may comment. As far as I know, there is no way to predict snowfall and runoff this far in advance. It may vary in different locations, but I had planned to fish near Wolf Creek, and cancelled due to the pandemic. A buddy tells me they had heavy runoff in early July, and said it's just as well I didn't go. But there was no way to know this last July. It seems to vary from year to year in that area.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
StickstringJuly 18th, 2020, 7:10 pm
Kalispell MT

When is mid July for you and how close do you want to be to Whitefish? We are just about clear of run off issues this year and I’d say we are mid July. There are lots of good streams that clear up more quickly and some that you may want to fish if the water is a little higher. The Thompson River often is good earlier than the rest off Highway 2, maybe around an hour drive from Whitefish. If the water is down in time, the middle fork of the Flathead would be another good spot.

And if you are working with a guide, there are always some other options, such as some local lakes or wade spots, that they can point you toward even during the worst of it. Always fishing to be had ;)
JoakimJuly 19th, 2020, 7:20 am
Sweden

Joakim, perhaps someone on here will know better than I do. If Matt sees this he may comment. As far as I know, there is no way to predict snowfall and runoff this far in advance. It may vary in different locations, but I had planned to fish near Wolf Creek, and cancelled due to the pandemic. A buddy tells me they had heavy runoff in early July, and said it's just as well I didn't go. But there was no way to know this last July. It seems to vary from year to year in that area.

Thank you, good to know.
Yeah it’s hard to say how things will be so far in advance. The music will be good however. We’ll see about the fishing.
JoakimJuly 19th, 2020, 7:25 am
Sweden

When is mid July for you and how close do you want to be to Whitefish? We are just about clear of run off issues this year and I’d say we are mid July. There are lots of good streams that clear up more quickly and some that you may want to fish if the water is a little higher. The Thompson River often is good earlier than the rest off Highway 2, maybe around an hour drive from Whitefish. If the water is down in time, the middle fork of the Flathead would be another good spot.

And if you are working with a guide, there are always some other options, such as some local lakes or wade spots, that they can point you toward even during the worst of it. Always fishing to be had ;)

Great advice and insight, thank you!
The festival is around the 17-18th, it’s probably best to fish after the event it seems, rather than before which was the original idea.
I usually do a guided trip, if the wallet allows. Girlfriend is a beginner and if I can pay someone to do the untangling that’s great. (To be honest she doesn’t tangle much at all)
StickstringJuly 19th, 2020, 7:34 am
Kalispell MT

Great. Sent you a PM with a couple other thoughts. You guys should have a blast.
JoakimJuly 19th, 2020, 11:25 am
Sweden

Thank you for that!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.