Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Rod and reel suggestion?

87NorthMay 9th, 2020, 7:23 am
New York

I've only fished an 8wt for steelhead/salmon, and would like to get a smaller rod for smaller streams. Wanted to know what you guys sugggest. I have no brand preferences or bias. I want something with decent backbone when casting/fast action.

- $500 budget for both rod and reel. You can go a little over, $50 +/- is reasonable.

- Not interested in Fiberglass rods

- 5wt.

- Primarily fishing small to medium sized Adirondack rivers, and small ponds for trout, smallmouth, panfish, etc.

- 8.5ft~9ft rod. 4 piece preferred for traveling purposes.
- Echo ION XL 8wt Rod // Ion 7-9wt Reel // Steelhead & Salmon
- St. Croix Triumph Light Rod // Daiwa BG 2000 Reel
Jmd123May 9th, 2020, 10:54 am
Oscoda, MI

Why, with those parameters, you have a million of them! That's about as standard a trout rod as you can get and you'll find them in any price range you want. For the smaller creeks and ponds I recommend a 7 1/2-foot 3-weight, as you will have trouble fishing brushy creeks with a 9-footer, and the 3-weight line falls more delicately on shallow, clear waters. Just my 2 cents! Good luck finding a stick (or two or five) that works for you.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WbranchMay 9th, 2020, 6:22 pm
York & Starlight PA

As Jonathon mentioned with a $500 budget you have many options and choices. At that price point there are quite a few good makers with lesser prices rods that will perform nicely for trout. Orvis has a nice combo called the "Encounter" that you can get for $160 rod, reel, line, and rod case. I've mentored two guys and recommended that for them and the rod is very nice.

Cabela's offers some nice combo's that can be purchased for $500 or if you prefer you can mix and match. Buy a rod from one maker, a reel, from another, and a line from yet another. I could pick an outfit for you but you might want to look on line for a comparison of 9' #5 rods. Different fly shops do these "rod shootouts" every few years. They typically sound unbiased but I'd be careful if they are selling any the rods they list in the top three. There are also YouTube videos with rod comparisons and evaluations. Hope that helps.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123May 10th, 2020, 6:10 am
Oscoda, MI

I can vouch for Cabelas fly tackle, been using it for decades and they make pretty good stuff for not a whole lotta money. Always remember, skill is far more important than the price of your equipment! But, you will always need equipment that performs up to your skill level too. I prefer a fast graphite stick, and there's just hundreds out there in the $100-$500 price range. My advice is shop the sales and bargains and get the most expensive stuff you can within your price range when it goes on sale! Though a different hobby, I recently nailed a whole lot of sales and used equipment for astronomy (a pastime which can cost you some serious $$$) and now I am equipped like never before, and literally saved thousands over full non-sale, non-used prices.

As I said, best of luck in finding the perfect stuff for your needs, it's out there somewhere.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
RleePMay 10th, 2020, 7:45 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

I see you evidently already have one Echo Rod. IMO, you could do a lot worse than to explore what they have to offer in the smaller water trout rod you're looking for. I think Echo offers one of the best bangs for the buck there is to be had. Decent prices and very good rods. I have two Echos. I'm pretty sure they also offer package or outfit setups and, while I don't have any of their reels, I've heard nothing but good stuff about their reels as well as their rods.

FWIW..

Red_green_hMay 11th, 2020, 1:24 pm
New Mexico

I remember being in the same boat when I first started. I went to a local sportman's store and the fishing expert turned me onto a Redington Path combo. I've loved their gear since. It's probably not the best, probably not the worst but I can catch fish with it so I'm happy. Anyways if I go out and get skunked it's not cause of my gear, it's because of me. The Vice rod is a fast action rod for $200. Pair it with one of their reels for about $400 total. Redington is pretty decent equipment. It's really all I have save a red-headed step child or 2 in the arsenal. That original path combo (a 4wt 8' rod) I bought was for $180. I changed the line out on it this spring and intend to catch more fish with it.
Ryan Norris
"a day not catching anything is better than a day not fishing at all"
Red_green_hMay 11th, 2020, 1:29 pm
New Mexico

I recommend a 7 1/2-foot 3-weight

Over the winter I got a new 7'6" 3 wt set up. I went up to the mountains last week and tried it out. I absolutely loved the way it presented anything I put on it. From dries to San Juan worms even with an indicator. It did not disappoint.
Ryan Norris
"a day not catching anything is better than a day not fishing at all"
OliverJamesAugust 2nd, 2021, 4:52 am
London

Hi all. I've been fishing for ten years. I can advise you an article that talks about different rods and their features, here is a link to this article https://theoutdoorsman.org/best-trout-fishing-rods/ , I often go to this site to see other things. I hope I can help you choose a fishing rod!
ErhanbeyNovember 26th, 2021, 11:48 pm
I recommend the spin reel

https://fishing-en.com/spinning-combos-a-great-introduction/
WiflyfisherNovember 27th, 2021, 1:43 pm
Wisconsin

I am going to sell online a Cabela's LST 856-4 graphite fly rod. i bought it about 12 years ago for my son. He quickly decided he preferred lake fishing.

The fly rod is: 8'6" 5wt, 4pc. in great condition. Probably only used 3 times. I need to take photos and post on a couple of selling web sites. $115 with FREE Shipping.

Cabela's LST graphite fly rods are really nice for the money and would be perfect for your situation. It needs a good home with someone who is going to use it.

If interested PM me.

John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
ErallommakrSeptember 18th, 2023, 2:01 am
Posts: 1yes i will recommend you top qualities of fishing rod dubai

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.