Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Cheap Reels High Performance???, Page 2

BflatApril 16th, 2008, 8:22 pm
central wisconsin

In many years of using cheap reels, I don't think I was ever at a significant disadvantage. I doubt I ever lost a fish because of a reel problem. Now I have high end reels, but only because I enjoy their feel, looks, and sound; and because I can. I'm speaking as an inland trout fisherman. Salt water, musky, etc. probably raise issues I've not needed to consider.
Bob
Bflat
SmallstreamApril 17th, 2008, 6:19 pm
State College, PA

speaking of the "which hand do you reel with" topic Im a little screwed up becuase I cast a fly rod with my right hand, but actually throw a baseball with my left hand so its kind of weird that reeling with my right hand while switching the rod over to my left hand when I hook a fish actually feels more comfortable than keeping the rod in my right hand and reeling with my left, dont ask how this, because I also write with my right hand as well. does anybody else have a weird tendency like this? you would think that someone who's hand that is better at throwing something would be the hand that they use to cast a fly rod, but with me thats not the case, pretty weird?
McjamesApril 18th, 2008, 5:56 am
Cortland Manor, NY

I do everything right handed except hockey... no explanation. also, I do not switch hands to hold my knife when cutting food... fork stays in right, knife in left... who knows
I am haunted by waters
Aaron7_8April 20th, 2008, 10:03 am
Helena Montana

Hello everyone. This is my first ever message on a forum anywhere. I do believe that my opinion on the matter comes from my blue collar back ground. I have noticed over the years in all my fishing purchases that you get what you pay for to a certain extent. All reels have two basic funtions to hold line and to retrieve that line. If you have the money for a expensive high quality reel that is machined and has many bells and whistles buy it, that is the "American way". However, if you are fishing small waters like myself and fish come in the 12" to 16" range commonly what does it matter if your fly reel could stop a truck your tippet wouldn't allow it anyway. I really think it boils down to your skill level and the size of fish you are going after. In m experience the $30 Okuma Sierra on my hand-me-downrod does the job just fine haven't lost a fish yet to low cost equipment. I do think that a tight line is more important than brand name cost.

Please inform me if you have first hand knowledge of my ignorance on this topic. I am still a humble beginner and all knowledge serves a purpose.
TaxonApril 20th, 2008, 11:09 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Aaron-

Welcome to the world of online forums. Although I agree with most of you points, I would observe that another function of a reel involves its ability to disperse line in a controlled fashion, which can quickly become critical with fast and strong prey.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.