Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Vest

PartsmanJune 9th, 2017, 7:52 pm
bancroft michigan

Anybody use the Orvis Hydros strap vest. I'm done with chest packs, and I really don't like slings that much anymore. Geez I'm going full circle here after 60 years!
TimCatJune 9th, 2017, 8:51 pm
Alanson, MI

I was gifted a Umpqua swiftwater tech vest from 3 years ago that I use all the time. I used to have a cheaper one, but it was not nearly as nice. It's smaller than most vests. It has straps similar to a backpack (actually there is a backpack attachment that I never felt the need to get) so it doesn't trap in body heat like the vests with wider shoulders, fronts and backs. It fits everything I need and also has all sorts of spots to attach carbiners, rings, etc. to have external gear handy. It's also pretty tough. I've walked through some thick brush with it and there has been no damage despite all of the snags I've got bushwhacking. I also like that because it's small and adjustable, putting it on over a coat in early spring, and fall is not a issue at all. It's kinda like having two small sling packs over both shoulders. Best of both worlds IMO. Highly recommended.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless
PartsmanJune 10th, 2017, 4:27 am
bancroft michigan

Thanks Tim, I take a look at it.
WbranchJune 11th, 2017, 4:35 am
York & Starlight PA

Having fly fished for over fifty four years I still prefer a conventional vest for 90% of my fly fishing. I like the Simms short vest. It has enough inner and outer pockets to satisfy all but the most anal of fly fishers.

I will admit to using a smaller chest pack for my Missouri River angling as I only need one swing leaf C&F fly box, tippet spools in 5X & 6X, a nipper, forceps, and my Frog's Fanny. BTW I located an online vendor, not associated with fly fishing, who sells powdered dessicant in quart bottles for very little expense. Four of us pay $12 each and we have enough material to last at least five years.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
David82ndJune 11th, 2017, 5:00 am
Upstate,New York

Matt I'm in on the buy , that's a nice price ,
I have used vests myself , but recent shoulder reconstruction kind of made me change my gear up , I found a sling bag to work good for me , , but I do love the organization of the vest , pockets have purpose, lol
Matt keep me posted on the buy
WbranchJune 11th, 2017, 12:19 pm
York & Starlight PA

David,

You misunderstood me - I have enough for the next 5-6 years. I will find the link and post it up.

Here is the link. Two quarts cost only $17.00. For only $17 it might be worth buying a 100 little plastic pill bottles and filling each bottle with the desiccant and selling them for $5.00 per bottle. Still $2.50 less than those pathetically small Frog's Fanny bottles.

Be careful working with this powder. I use a very small kitchen funnel to fill my bottles. I also wear a pair of those 2 mil blue throw away gloves so my hands don't get dried out. Don't sneeze either or you could blow a pint of the stuff all over the house!

http://www.epoxyusa.com/fumed_silica_p/ft02.htm
David82ndJune 11th, 2017, 12:22 pm
Upstate,New York

Lol. Oh oh , lol. My bad I did mis-read , I'm sorry lol
MartinlfJune 11th, 2017, 8:23 pm
Palmyra PA

Yes, you don't want to breathe the stuff either. I keep my fumed silica in a plastic water bottle that has a drinking "straw" built into the top. I insert the straw into the empty Frog's Fanny bottle and squeeze the bottle to transfer it that way. Quick and no mess.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PABrownieJune 12th, 2017, 5:57 am
Gallitzin PA

I love strap vests, I just got this fishpond mesh vest this year and absolutely love it.. Plenty of storage and loops/clips for hanging things off it. I recomend it highly, its light and cool in the summer so far as well.

http://fishpondusa.com/product/detail/sagebrush-mesh-vest/2462

The "zip down fly bench" is suprisingly handy as well, I use it much more than anticipated. All the flies I use during the day and take off I stick in there quickly, that way I can zip that thing down and see quickly what I've used so far. I also keep hot patterns in there for quick access instead of having to unzip a pocket and then take out fly box and open etc. You can also leave it open to dry off dry flies.
WbranchJune 12th, 2017, 8:11 am
York & Starlight PA

Here is PABrownie's link live;

http://fishpondusa.com/product/detail/sagebrush-mesh-vest/2462

Very nice, a little pricey for my pocket, but I like it. Where do you stow the breathable rain jacket?
PABrownieJune 14th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Gallitzin PA

WBranch, It has a large back pocket like your typical vest has, just this one is mesh, I keep my water/rainjacket/small aquarium net for capturing floating bugs in the back, everything fits comfortably.
PartsmanJune 15th, 2017, 1:38 pm
bancroft michigan

PABrownie you convinced me, thanks for the input.

Mike.
PABrownieJune 16th, 2017, 5:28 am
Gallitzin PA

Hope you like it Partsman!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.