Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Hydrophobic Fumed Silica (Frog's Fanny)

Shawnny3June 27th, 2013, 3:07 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Hey, guys. After dropping two Frog's Fanny bottles into the stream in the past few seasons, I decided to buy the generic stuff in bulk. I found it really cheap here. It was $6.50 for a quart, plus like $3 shipping - that's a lifetime supply for under $10. I'll put it in a container that fits better in my vest so I don't keep dropping it in the stream, and I'll be in business forever.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
OldredbarnJune 27th, 2013, 6:57 pm
Novi, MI

Which is which there Shawn? Don't know what the "generic stuff" is...

Good to hear from you though...How's the summer/fishing going?

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Shawnny3June 27th, 2013, 9:02 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Which is which there Shawn? Don't know what the "generic stuff" is...

Sorry - it's hydrophobic fumed silica. On the page I linked, it's just called "fumed silica" (third from the top), but this distributor only sells the hydrophobic version, which is what you want, so you don't have to worry about getting the wrong stuff. I haven't used it on flies yet, but it feels exactly the same as the name brand stuff on my hands, and it does not rinse off with just water.

Incidentally, the chemistry of this stuff is quite interesting. They electrocute the substrate to achieve very high temps, and as the silica (essentially sand or glass) crystallizes it forms fibrous, branching filaments. It has an extremely high surface area-to-volume ratio and has lots of air interspersed throughout the branching crystal. Coat with some hydrophobic polymer, and you have something magical for fly fishing.

-Shawn

P.S. Fished for the first time since we met just last week. Fishing has been slow, very little hatching, but it's been good to get out on the stream. I hope you're well. Your boys made an admirable run at the Cup despite the "rebuilding" phase - closest anyone came to knocking off Chicago.
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Jmd123June 27th, 2013, 11:11 pm
Oscoda, MI

"Your boys made an admirable run at the Cup despite the "rebuilding" phase - closest anyone came to knocking off Chicago."

Yeah, we almost did, didn't we? Oh well, they deserve the Cup. And we can be proud we made them go 7 games...Thanks, Shawn. BTW, hope you get out more - I've been busy with field work and teaching myself, now I got Swimmer's Itch from snorkeling yesterday and I just can't face the inevitable hordes of mosquitoes...I'm going to the shooting range where the noise and smoke will hopefully keep the bugs at bay...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.