Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Today's Banner Photo

MartinlfFebruary 15th, 2008, 8:16 am
Palmyra PA

Jason, the photo at the top of the page on 2/15/08 is gorgeous. It just invites a cast to the head of the pool. I can hardly sit at my desk without imagining the line unrolling and a brookie flashing under the fly. Thanks.

{Edit by Jason: Since people won't know what you're talking about once the header changes tomorrow, here's a link to the full picture. It's available as a desktop background.}
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CaseyPFebruary 15th, 2008, 9:52 am
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

Louis is right. the banner photos are always nice, but this one stopped me cold. the colors of the rocks on the left and the flash of sun on the tree trunk at the head of the pool make this picture like a Puccini aria: achingly beautiful!

time for a new calendar assortment, guy!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
JOHNWFebruary 15th, 2008, 1:39 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Louis,
Today's header is infact quite gorgeous, well actually they are all very intriguing to me. I cant wait to see what the one on March 15 is going to be like if it is evoking such comment a full 28 days in advance ;)

Is there any way to find the location of those pics in the header/
I relize in many cases posting the particular streams name could be detrimental however some of them are striking enough for me to want to add the area to my "bucket list"

JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Shawnny3February 15th, 2008, 1:51 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

While this beautiful photo is not from a stream I recognize, I really hope Jason doesn't divulge (and I know he won't, at least not to the public) the locations of the streams I love from back home. Most of these tiny beauties could not handle much pressure at all, and it would be a shame for them to be overrun with people.

John, you are once again bravely tugging on Louis tail. While I will undoubtedly derive enjoyment from the repartee that is sure to follow, I hope you don't end up fertilizing a cornfield overlooking the Little J.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
JOHNWFebruary 15th, 2008, 3:27 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Ahhhhhh! Shawny to spend eternity as part of a corn field overlooking the Little J would not be a bad thing. Now a cornfield in Central Ohio is a different story. However I have it on good authority that it is actually Lois (Louis' evil feminine side) that one must be wary of.

As for wanting to know the wheres of the varied banner streams I was thinking more along the lines of Catskills, Poconos, Driftless, UP.
Not Joes Honey Hole along route 555 just outside of Podunk and certainly not out there for general perview.

JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
TroutnutFebruary 15th, 2008, 6:18 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Glad you like this one so much. :)

Of all the creeks I've photographed for this site, this one is at the very top of the Do Not Tell List, because it is very fragile, hard to get to, and almost undiscovered by trout anglers. It's incredibly clear and cool, and in a good year there are dozens of brookies in every pool, many of them over 10 inches and some pushing 13. In fact, there are almost no fish except brook trout. The many schools of "minnows" that panic up and down the pool as one walks by are actually young-of-the-year brookies.

Of course, such a teaser would be harmless without a few clues to tug at your curiosity. It is in northern Wisconsin, but it does not flow into the Great Lakes. No roads cross it, and the closest you can drive is about half a mile from the creek, but the walk from there is not difficult. It shows up as a trout stream on the regulations map, but it is not well-known, not even locally. It is not a tributary of any nationally famous trout stream. One other poster on this site knows this creek, but might not recognize the picture.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
MartinlfFebruary 15th, 2008, 8:54 pm
Palmyra PA

March 15? I can't for the life of me imagine what JohnW might have been thinking.

And Shawn, don't you go advertising my after hours job too frequently, or there might be a knock on your door just after midnight in the near future.

Jason, if I'm not on your doorstep sometime before you get out of Alaska, I may have to see if I can finagle a guided trip to this stream one day. All joking aside, thanks for this photo. It and your description of the stream will inhabit my dreams for years to come.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
LittleJFebruary 15th, 2008, 9:48 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

Jason
"It's incredibly clear and cool, and in a good year there are dozens of brookies in every pool, many of them over 10 inches and some pushing 13. In fact, there are almost no fish except brook trout."

Thanks for making my head start twitching! Damn february

Jeff

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.