Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > beginner wading the ausable near Cadillac

LeakinwaderMay 29th, 2015, 3:03 pm
Posts: 1Total beginner here going to Cadillac, Mi and wanted help knowing the best place to wade/fly fish the Ausable that is safe for a beginner. Where to park etc. would be helpful but
any help would be appreciated. Thank you
RogueratMay 30th, 2015, 9:53 am
Leakin'-

Welcome!

There's a LOT of folks on this site who have experience on the Au Sable, and it's a (fairly) short drive from Cadillac over to the vicinity of Grayling and your destination. While you're in Cadillac give the Clam River(one of my favorites!) a shot, pretty good Brook trout fishing in that stream's upper reaches.

Tight lines,

Roguerat
OldredbarnJune 2nd, 2015, 11:49 pm
Novi, MI

Stop in a fly shop in Grayling. Either the Old Au Sable downtown, or Gates' Au Sable Lodge on the river on Stephan Bridge Rd, about 7 miles east of town. At either shop purchase the Au Sable river guide published by the Challenge Chapter of TU. Look up the section on the North Branch and any access upstream of Lovell's bridge. Easy wade. Not too deep. Brooks and Browns.

Have fun.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
DkinvaOctober 14th, 2015, 11:16 am
Posts: 9No clue about the river but I can tell you a wading staff comes in very handy. I realize many folks are nimble enough to lope around rivers pretty well but I like the help. I paid $40 for one that folds up small enough for a knapsack and it floats. Clip it to your vest so it doesn't get away and you're in business. If you get one, check the bottom for metal and coat it with liquid plastic. Otherwise every time you reposition it goes tink tink tink. Translated to trout speak it means run run run.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.