Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Spring Dry Fly Season

CrepuscularFebruary 28th, 2017, 3:47 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Well, to me the arrival of the Taeniopterygid stoneflies is the beginning of my spring dry fly season. With low water and warm air temps equalling warmer waters the fish seem to be willing to chase the skittering adult stones. So it has started for me here. from the other day:

PaulRobertsFebruary 28th, 2017, 5:44 am
Colorado

Ahhhhhh.....

Very nice, Eric.
WbranchFebruary 28th, 2017, 8:41 am
York & Starlight PA

Looks like a Payne style grip and sliding band reel seat. Is it a Payne rod?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
IasgairFebruary 28th, 2017, 1:49 pm
Colorado

That's very classy. Nothing like a beautiful fish on a beautiful bamboo.
MartinlfFebruary 28th, 2017, 5:31 pm
Palmyra PA

Nice work, Eric. Bit of green poking through the marsh grass at the bottom. Spring olives can't be far away.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CrepuscularMarch 1st, 2017, 2:52 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Spring olives can't be far away.

Caught fish on olives yesterday. There weren't a ton of them but enough to get the fish looking up. Skunk cabbage is up.

Looks like a Payne style grip and sliding band reel seat. Is it a Payne rod?

Payne 102H taper. It's a nice rod for medium to large waters. Grip is payne style. Reel seat is from black walnut tree from Vince Marinaro's meadow on the Letort, full intermediates (non-Payne color wraps as you can see) Mike Brooks made the rod. He went above and beyond in the fit and finish. I like the rod, but his version of the Payne 100 and the Payne 97 are so much fun to fish. I love those rods. Mike tied flies for the Leonard company and says his taper numbers are directly from the Leonard and Payne shop.

That's very classy. Nothing like a beautiful fish on a beautiful bamboo.

Hahaha well, that makes me think of putting lipstick on a pig. I've never been accused of being classy that's for sure. But I do like fishing rods with a soul.And that rod is a nicely finished one for sure.
MartinlfMarch 2nd, 2017, 6:25 am
Palmyra PA

Caught fish on olives yesterday.

Excellent. I saw some further north a few days back, where Spence fished over them, and where I last bumped into you, I believe.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
TNEALMarch 2nd, 2017, 11:54 am
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

You guys are killin' me. We just had 6' snow; wind chill today around 10; tomorrow expected to be lower....
CrepuscularMarch 2nd, 2017, 3:20 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

You guys are killin' me. We just had 6' snow; wind chill today around 10; tomorrow expected to be lower....

Well, load up the vehicle, stop in Detroit to pick up the Dutchman and come visit. See what Life is like here in the tropics...we like to fish. I would expect to see Hennies by the third or fourth week of this month.

OldredbarnMarch 2nd, 2017, 6:25 pm
Novi, MI

Hahaha well, that makes me think of putting lipstick on a pig. I've never been accused of being classy that's for sure. But I do like fishing rods with a soul.And that rod is a nicely finished one for sure.

Class, my friend, comes in many forms...I like that part about "soul".

Well, load up the vehicle, stop in Detroit to pick up the Dutchman and come visit. See what Life is like here in the tropics...we like to fish. I would expect to see Hennies by the third or fourth week of this month.

Well Tim, warm up the fishin' wagon! I saw a poor Robin standing out back on the lower deck this evening, as the snow was coming down...It was wearing an expression that I read as, "Who was it that talked me into flying north in February?! Should of stayed in Florida!"

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TNEALMarch 7th, 2017, 5:35 am
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

Hendricksons in March... every month should have been named March....
Jmd123March 7th, 2017, 11:19 am
Oscoda, MI

I'm totally jealous Eric and I hate you.

No, not really, but I am totally jealous...our weather has been up and down like a yo-yo lately, with 55 F and sunshine today (but WAAAY too windy for fly casting) and a supposed high of 19 F coming by the weekend...spring will get here one of these days, it's just teasing us right now. I should go look for skunk cabbage, it should be up around here by now too, and at least that lets you know that there's something ALIVE out there right now!

Nice looking brownie there, something I might get a crack at within a month or so...saw a few winter stones down by the Clinton River downstate while looking for steelhead (didn't find any yet) a few weeks ago. Hennies and caddis will be a most welcome site!! And with our (mostly) pretty mild winter I am interested to see if we get a repeat of 2012, which was my best trout opener ever...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.