User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Old Soft-hackle, new look.

SofthackleOctober 22nd, 2008, 7:35 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Hi all,
It has always been my belief that the hooks we tie on greatly affect our flies. Here's an example of a very old pattern tied on a newer hook that I really like. Of course the fly is a wingless wet and one of my favorites.

The original Tups was a dry fly first before Skues developed it into a nymph. Much has been speculated about the appearance of the dubbing, not in contents, but basic appearance. I think this one is pretty close.

Any thoughts on tying old patterns on new hooks?

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
LittleJOctober 23rd, 2008, 1:24 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

great fly, looks like it would make a good sulpher. Is that ice dub or did you blend it yourself. I also have been eyeing those hooks, up until now I haven't seen anything tied on them, I may have to pull the trigger and get some.
jeff
SofthackleOctober 23rd, 2008, 1:29 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Hi Jeff,
The dubbing is a mix of half red seal, half yellow seal, then about 1/3 as much tan hare's mask. The mix should look like it does in the photo-a kind of pale orangy pink from a distance.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
CaseyPOctober 23rd, 2008, 5:08 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

what a gorgeous hook--no barb squishing! what is it?
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
SofthackleOctober 23rd, 2008, 7:42 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Hi Casey,
Grip #14723BL # 12. These hooks are beautiful, but sold mostly in Europe. They are made in S. Africa. They have other models. I know of only one dealer in the US at present, and they are not even on the shelves, yet. I got mine from the distributor to test them out. If you are interested in ordering some, let me know via PM and I'll put you in touch with the dealer.

Mark

MartinlfOctober 24th, 2008, 5:06 am
Palmyra PA

I've been using some of the new barbless Tiemco SP, Gamakatsu, Partridge, and Knapek hooks and love them. I've lost fewer fish, and they are so easy to remove.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.