Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Hareline Wiggle Dub

Outdoors198November 20th, 2015, 10:24 pm
Posts: 27Has anyone tried Hareline's Wiggle Dub or an equivalent? I'm wanting to hear people's experiences/opinions. Thanks!
WbranchNovember 20th, 2015, 10:49 pm
York & Starlight PA

Never heard of it. Can you tell me something about it? Is it a synthetic product? Is it fur? Please educate me.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
WbranchNovember 21st, 2015, 7:01 am
York & Starlight PA

If you don't know what it is then you haven't used it. Google can tell you what it is.

Not the most friendly answer or the one I was looking to receive. Of course I could Google it if I wanted to do that. I figured since you are somewhat of a newbie on this forum you might share some of your knowledge with me, and others, but I guess you either don't give a rat's ass or you just like giving me a smart ass answer.

Outdoors198November 21st, 2015, 10:08 am
Posts: 27You are right I apologize. I guess I wasn't in the best mood last night. It is no excuse. I think it is a natural dubbing with micro rubber legs added in for movement. I was also looking at Senyos shaggy dub which is micro silicone legs but I think that is all synthetic. I was curious about both for the added movement they might give. Versus regular, say, hares ear with plenty of guard hairs in a dubbing loop.
PlanettroutNovember 22nd, 2015, 11:29 am
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

Hareline's Wiggle Dub (similar to Swisher's GENERATION X DUBBING) is made using fine rubber. Sanyo's Shaggy Dub uses silicone.

I have tied with both.

Micro Rubber rots, mats together, globs into a mess and makes the pattern virtually unusable, if not completely dried out after use.

Silicone does not present that problem...

PT/TB
Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
WbranchNovember 22nd, 2015, 12:07 pm
York & Starlight PA

PT wrote;

Micro Rubber rots

Yes, absolutely a waste of time to tie a nice fly with rubber legs. I learned the hard way and tied half a dozen hoppers with nice yellow legs and after about a year the legs were brittle and falling off. I've tied larger nymphs with "sili-legs" and I've had them for years and the legs are as supple now as when I first tied them.
Outdoors198November 22nd, 2015, 2:53 pm
Posts: 27I am very glad to know about the rubber legs rotting so I don't waste time with it! Thankfully I bought a pack of sili legs recently! Thank you very much for the information everyone! I wonder if you could put sili legs in a coffee grinder and shred them into tinier fibers... Probably not.
Outdoors198November 22nd, 2015, 3:39 pm
Hareline's Wiggle Dub (similar to Swisher's GENERATION X DUBBING) is made using fine rubber. Sanyo's Shaggy Dub uses silicone.

I have tied with both.

Micro Rubber rots, mats together, globs into a mess and makes the pattern virtually unusable, if not completely dried out after use.

PT/TB

Do you still tie with the shaggy dub? How do/did you like it?
PlanettroutNovember 23rd, 2015, 10:42 am
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

I have tied with both.

PT/TB

Do you still tie with the shaggy dub? How do/did you like it?

I have been using it for larger Caddis patterns (#6 - #10) and adding it to the dubbing mix for Seal Bugger type patterns. The silicone fiber sections are larger than micro rubber...

PT/TB
Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.