Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > where to go?

PsyflyJuly 30th, 2007, 2:24 pm
Wellsville, NY

My wife and I will be heading down to PA in August. Wondering if anyone has a recommendation as to where to fish and camp?
"If I might be judge, God never did make a more calm,quiet, innocent recreation than angling" Isaac Walton
www.tierneysflies.com
CaseyPJuly 30th, 2007, 5:47 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

the Little Juniata is worth visiting and big enough to have some water even if it's dry. There is camping near Baree, but i forget the name of the place. it's very close to some of the fishing. you're going to need to stick to large streams and rivers if we don't get any rain.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
JADJuly 30th, 2007, 6:48 pm
Alexandria Pa

CaseyP is right on with the facts. Green Hills is the name of the place. Phone no . is 814 669 4000 ask for Annie or Butch.

JaD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
IEatimagoJuly 30th, 2007, 6:57 pm
Spring Mills, PA

also poe paddy park has camping and is on penns creek just past coburn.
MartinlfJuly 30th, 2007, 8:33 pm
Palmyra PA

Any of PA's spring creeks would be fishable, though they can be tough with low water. Penns may be too warm to fish if the weather's hot and dry. Where are you planning to visit?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
SmallstreamJuly 30th, 2007, 8:42 pm
State College, PA

my advice is to hit spring creek in centre county if you are near there, it stays pretty cool in the summer, and the guys at flyfishers paradise in state college can put you in the right direction, also theres a couple of campgrounds in the area like black moshannon, Whipple dam, and penn roosevelt. plus the mountain streams always offer good fishing when the weather is hot
PsyflyJuly 31st, 2007, 5:42 am
Wellsville, NY

Thanks all for your replies. Good info! my wife and I just moved back east from Colorado and I'm now exploring some of PA's "famous" waters!!
"If I might be judge, God never did make a more calm,quiet, innocent recreation than angling" Isaac Walton
www.tierneysflies.com
MartinlfJuly 31st, 2007, 11:19 am
Palmyra PA

I'll second Smallstream's advice to contact the guys at Flyfisher's Paradise. The shop has a website and you can get the phone number there or email Steve with questions.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
SofthackleJuly 31st, 2007, 11:25 am
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

See, Jim,
These guys know where to go. Lot of great guys from PA, here.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
JOHNWJuly 31st, 2007, 2:10 pm
Chambersburg, PA

OK so I'm going be a little bit of a spoiler here. Central PA is indeed as wonderful as it sounds however you have two other very "historical" regions in the state.
The Southern edge of the Pocons (including the Lehigh Valley) is good and boasts folks like Jim Liesenring as native sons. Then there is the Cumberland Valley which is probably one of the most historically significant areas of the state and not just for the role in fly fishing.
It really depends on what you want in terms of water.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
PsyflyJuly 31st, 2007, 2:10 pm
Wellsville, NY

Yup Mark, Good feedback from everyone. I'll let you know how the trip goes.
www.tierneysflies.com
PsyflyJuly 31st, 2007, 2:13 pm
Wellsville, NY

We'll probable head to State College area. It's not far from us and we will continue exploring PA with additional trips. Spring Creek sounds like a good start.
www.tierneysflies.com
SlateDrake9August 6th, 2007, 6:48 pm
Potter County, PA

Just returned from State College on Friday. All of the flyshop guys/guides suggested Spring Creek and Spring Creek only. All of the other usuals are very warm/low right now. Other than some specific areas on the Little J where springs enter, its bass water with high temps. Penn's is even warmer, not much water in Spruce.

I have heard from some reliable sources that the Yough river is fishing very well right now. It's a tailwater fishery with consistent flows and temps. Also lots of room to handle lots of fisherfolks. There are several camping areas on or right near the river, including one right at the dam.

Slate Drake
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
-- Slate Drake
SmallstreamAugust 6th, 2007, 7:29 pm
State College, PA

there also is fishing creek (limestone creek) which is about 20 minutes northeast of state college that supposedly stays even colder than spring creek, I have never fished it but I hear that it is hard to fish but very good.
PsyflyAugust 7th, 2007, 6:41 am
Wellsville, NY

thanks for the tip on the Yough. I'll look that up on the map. Maybe when I get down there Ill check that out also.
www.tierneysflies.com
PsyflyAugust 7th, 2007, 6:43 am
Wellsville, NY

oh yeah, the tip on Fishing Creek is another I'll check out. Thanks
www.tierneysflies.com
SlateDrake9August 7th, 2007, 3:56 pm
Potter County, PA

Fishing Creek is reasonably cold right now, but I'm told it is very low also.

The Yough is not in the State College area, but in SW Pennsylvania. Sommerset/Fayette County boarder for the most part.
-- Slate Drake
LittleJAugust 7th, 2007, 7:04 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

Fishing creek is always cold, but as of sun. it was very low. I know I said it on another post but it's worth repeating, if your planning on a trip to central pa you'll enjoy it much more if you wait till we have some water in the streams. Not trying to sound negative but we just haven't had any rain.
jeff
JOHNWAugust 7th, 2007, 7:57 pm
Chambersburg, PA

I would guess the Yough to be roughly 3-4hrs from State College. If you head there be very careful. I have never fished the river but have walked sections of the trail along it. Very cold water, lots of volume and boulders greased with owl snot. Real easy to get stuffed in a hole and never come up again.
Not to be a buzz kill just thought you should know.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
SlateDrake9August 10th, 2007, 5:11 pm
Potter County, PA

Per Mapquest. State College to Confluence 2 hours 33 minutes

Wellsville, NY to Confluence 5 hours 19 minutes

Wellsville, NY to State College 3 hours 1 minute

JohnW's right about the Yough being difficult to wade in some places, but not all. As you get closer to Ohio Pyle it gets more and more difficult, but the closer you stay to the dam and cold water discharge, the easier it is to wade, generally. The dam releases more water on the weekends for rafters and kayakers, so go on a weekday if you can. In my opinion, some of the best fishing is from Ramcat Hollow up river. Good luck if you go.
-- Slate Drake
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.