Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Cheap ($) Waders and Wading Boots, Page 2

RanchMTApril 14th, 2017, 12:27 pm
Bozeman, MT

Great Story Wbranch.

I think that the movie you are talking about is Meet the Faulkers? Great movie! haha. I also had the same problem with the Freestone waders. They didn't fit my feet but I found this out when trying on several pairs of waders. That's one of the reasons why I own one of the higher priced pair.

I'm sorry to hear that your brand new waders had torn on the first time out. That really must have been a hassle having to go repair them before even really getting any fishing in. Any idea what caused the tear?

However, I'm glad you got them fixed and the fact that you haven't had any other problems with them for the last 3 years is pretty impressive! Just another reason why I like Simms waders. They are just a good quality product.
WbranchApril 14th, 2017, 5:00 pm
York & Starlight PA

Ranch,

Any idea what caused the tear?

There is one of those typical Montana gates where the barb wire is strung across a path and the barbed wire is held together with three vertical poles. Well were we go the gate is often laying almost on the ground because there are no cattle in that field most of the time. I think when I stepped through the barbed wire I must of caught my right leg on the wire although I don't remember feeling like I was stuck.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
IasgairApril 15th, 2017, 7:20 pm
Colorado

I had a pair of Simms Freestone waders. However I found it very difficult to get the bootie off of my foot art the end of the fishing day. It might just be me and the size of my feet as two of my best fishing buddies have the G3 and are very satisfied with them.

It's not you. I have the Freestone waders as well and have the same problem. And there are others I have heard that with Simms, they have the same issue. But yes, some don't have an issue taking them off. So maybe it is the size of one's feet.

My suggestion for waders, Caddis Wading System has great DURABLE waders for a very reasonable price. My Simms are about to die, and if I can't afford Orvis, it'll probably be Caddis or Redington. I may go Redington because the fly shop in town has them on sale now. I better hurry.
WbranchApril 16th, 2017, 4:15 am
York & Starlight PA

Caddis also makes very affordable, and extremely light, wading shoes. For years I would lug my Simms Freestone wading shoes out to Montana with me. Not only did they add weight to my roller duffle but they were so big and un-packable that I had to use both end pockets on the duffle. One for each shoe.

Now I buy a Caddis wading shoes with that new black woven felt and the uppers are a synthetic canvas type material. One pair weighs about 18 ounces compared to about 48 ounces for the Simms Freestones. I can compress them and put both in just one end pocket on the duffle and they cost less than $50. They also sell a higher end Caddis shoe for $67. I have both. I leave one at my cabin and one here at home. In the summer when I use my Hyde I wade wet and these wading shoes are perfect.

I don't need heavy duty wading shoes with ankle support on the river I fish. Here is a link to the model and the store where I get them. If you spend $75 you get free shipping.

https://www.kitterytradingpost.com/product/caddis-better-wading-ecosmart-wading-shoe
FlytyerinpaJune 11th, 2017, 5:54 am
Pottsville Pa

So I'm guessing the bottom line is if you find a pair of waders that last 3 yrs. consider your self lucky. Over the years I've had quite a few pairs of waders, some were dirt cheap and they lasted the longest. One pair I had I think they were like $20.00 or $30.00 lasted like 6 or 7 yrs. I don't get to fish as much as some guys do I guessing maybe 15 days a year. The last 2 pair's I bought from Cabalas never again, granted they were cheep I think the first pair was $89.00 a few months later they went on sale so I bought a spare set. First pair the felt came off the bottom after a little over a year, the second pair same thing only on the other foot again just over a year. I thought about trying to repair the latest ones but the boot part is so thin on the bottom it actually hurt to walk back to the car without the felt on the bottom of the boot. Not sure what brand I will buy this time but considering where I fish the season is just about over with I'll have time to look around .
David82ndJune 11th, 2017, 8:55 am
Upstate,New York

Honestly you get what you pay for , if it works it works , I guess being a veteran infantry paratrooper my feet are still important, I spend more then I should sometimes but if I'm comfortable in the river for 8-hours I'm happy
No reason to force youreself to be comfortable trying to enjoy you're passion , I spend more at times but pierce of mind works for me. , lol I'm a salesmans dream in the lay shop lol. , I won't buy flies though. ! I tie my own like you Matt
WbranchJune 11th, 2017, 12:03 pm
York & Starlight PA

flytierinpa,

I don't get to fish as much as some guys do I guessing maybe 15 days a year.

In that case I don't think I would go out and buy any high end wader if you are only going to get about 15 days a season. You could use the savings on other fly fishing or fly tying stuff. Frogg Toggs makes a pretty darn good wader for under $100. I have a backup, lightweight breathable, Cabela wader I use in the summer and take to Montana because it is hot out there and they are much lighter than my Headhunter Simms. Last year after about four years I noticed a bunch of seam leaks on both legs. I filled them with water and marked the drips on the inside and outside. I patched the inside with iron-on patches and used those glue sticks on the outside. You heat them with a lighter until the stick starts to melt them you dribble melting material along the seam. It cures quite quickly.
Hunter1July 6th, 2017, 6:07 am
Maryland

I have a couple of pairs of waders. I bought a pair of Simms guide waders back in 1998. I take very good care of them . Still have and use them. Long ago an old timer told me to slip a pair of thin wool or cotton socks over the neoprean booties . It works. I have never had a leak in the booties since doing that. I do this with all my waders.
WbranchJuly 8th, 2017, 9:38 am
York & Starlight PA

flytierinpa wrote;

So I'm guessing the bottom line is if you find a pair of waders that last 3 yrs. consider your self lucky.

It will be 3 years in a couple of weeks that I finally pulled the trigger and bought a pair of Simms Headwaters waders. By far not their best wader but about 2 tiers above the least expensive.

I had never spent more than $150 for a pair of waders in fifty years. I am very satisfied with the Simms. There are not even any pin hole leaks. I fish about 100 days a year and use them for trout, smallmouth, and steelhead with great success.
David82ndJuly 9th, 2017, 8:22 am
Upstate,New York

You get what you pay for simple , cheaply made equipment and materials look attractive on front side based on price but honestly aren't worth the agrivation because you'll buy the same product twice in lifetime of more expensive product. I've learned this first hand
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.