Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > I'm glad no one else was there Part 2

Wbranch has attached these 5 pictures to this report. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.4X larger)
Stocked brown ate a Walt's Worm
Stocked brown ate a Walt's Worm
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.2X larger)
Lovely little wild brown
Lovely little wild brown
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.9X larger)
Stocked rainbow
Stocked rainbow
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.4X larger)
A wild horny chub
A wild horny chub
Shown Full Size
Great colored rainbow
Great colored rainbow

Report at a Glance

General RegionNear Reading & Oley
Specific LocationTulpehocken & Manatawny
Time of Day7:00 - 9:00 & 1:30 - 4:00
Fish CaughtTwo browns, Three wild browns, two stocked rainbow
Conditions & HatchesCloudy & humid. Some tan caddis.

Details and Discussion

WbranchMay 15th, 2014, 8:52 pm
York & Starlight PA

Started on the Tully at the Paper Mill. The flow was 330 cfs. A couple rising fish but slow compared to when I was there on Tuesday. Around 9:00 I could feel the water rising and much more velocity. I figured it would go up just a litte and the fishng would get better.

Well when it started to rise the water was at my knees and by the time I realized I was in a jam the water was now at my waist and the flow was really pushing me. I was on the side opposite my vehicle. I tried to cross twice and both times got about 3/4 of the way across but the water was over my waist and it was getting deeper and swifter. I checked the flow just now and it is 1050 cfs. Wow, after 3X the flow of when I started to fish. There is no way I would of been successful. I might of wound up a statistic. The headline would read "Old man drowns on Tulpehocken Creek."

Luckily I am familar with this stream and about 1.5 miles downstream there is a covered bridge. There is a rail trail that runs all along the stream. So at 10:00 I started my walk and I did not get back to my vehicle until 11:15. The zipper on my waders leaked a little when I was in deep and I was soaked from the effort of walking 3 miles with waders on and a light polar fleece pullover. I was beat!

I took off my waders and let my shirt and pants air dry then went to a store and got a sandwich and cold drink. Ten years ago I would of pushed it and really tried to cross and likely would off been knocked down. It was a little scary and if the bridge had not been there I guess I would of had to call 911 to get a river rescue. Now that would of been really embarrassing.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123May 16th, 2014, 12:28 am
Oscoda, MI

Pretty fish, Matt - and at least this time you got a few! But what a dramatic start to your season...well, it's been that kind of year so far. Reminds me of when I was salmon fishing (not with a fly rod) on Vancouver Island in 2001. Forgot about such things as the tide when fishing near saltwater, almost found myself stranded on a rock and had to jump for it! I do believe I ended up getting wet shoes...how distracted we get when fishing!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
EntomanMay 16th, 2014, 7:59 am
Northern CA & ID

Fortune cookie lingo - a fool is soon parted from his rod but the wise man lives to fish another day.:)

The zipper on my waders leaked a little...

Yep, it's a great idea in concept but you just illustrated why I haven't laid down cash for a pair. I know some guys who swear by 'em, but...

Btw- there's that spot on the adipose I mentioned in the other thread. I also like the way his red spots follow a straight line along the median and nowhere else. Pretty little guy... He's really gonna be something when he gets bigger - if he gets bigger...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
WbranchMay 16th, 2014, 8:27 am
York & Starlight PA

The zipper on my waders leaked a little...

Actually I've been very satisfied with these Hodgman zipper waders. I bought them on sale from Cabela's in August of 2011 for my trip to Alaska. The price was really right at $100. I guess it was a close-out. They are heavy duty waders with at least double thickness knees and seat.

I wear them all over on the Delaware and in the Susquehanna but I don't wear them in Montana. There I wear a pair of very lightweight breathables as I'm in my pontoon boat quite a bit and the wading is gentle.

The problem arose because one day the zipper got stuck and instead of looking at it closely I pull on it very hard and the plastic interlocking teeth jumped the track. It was a bitvh to get it right again (or almost right) So now if I wade to my waist, which is infrequent, I do take in water.

I liked them so much I'm thinking of buying a pair of Redington zipper waders. I think they are $299. That is the most I'd ever pay for any wader.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PaulRobertsMay 16th, 2014, 10:00 pm
Colorado

Good story. I've done some risky even foolish wading too, among other things. But I'm still here to tell about em. Can't say the same for Ken Miyata. That story got my attention.

Nice fish too. Those shiners sure are pretty.
Jmd123May 16th, 2014, 10:33 pm
Oscoda, MI

I took a swim back in March of 2010 while wearing neoprene boot-foot waders, trying to catch a damned steelhead in the Clinton River below Yates Cider Mill in Rochester Hills, MI. I took one step too far into deep water, thinking I was gonna reach a good hole. I tried to turn around but before I knew it I was swimming, with well over $300 worth of fly-fishing gear in one hand. "Okay, where's the bottom, where's the bottom, damn this water's COLD, where's the bottom..." I finally DID touch bottom and crawled ashore, with nothing left dry on me but my head and my feet (since the neoprene waders slowed down the inflow). Went home with my tail tucked between my legs that day, I tell you, and not encouraging me to pursue steelhead...

Last summer I also took a swim, but that time was in the Pine River in summer and I was wearing swim trunks and wading shoes, trying to rescue my last Royal Wulff. I did discover how deep a hole was that I've been fishing for three years - and given that depth, there HAS to be some serious lunkers in there. Biggest so far are 13" rainbows, but who knows what lurks under the alder trees on the far banks...?

Wanted to go fishing today but now I'm fighting a head cold besides the weather (high 48 F and breezy). Not good conditions for sitting in a kayak on a lake or wading a (still very cold) stream.

BTW that is a very pretty shiner, I'm thinking in the genus Luxilus perhaps? Looks like it's putting on spawning colors too. Wouldn't mind a few of those in my aquarium! Those trout are also nice, especially the rainbow in the last photo, great iridescent pink wash to the flanks!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123May 16th, 2014, 10:40 pm
Oscoda, MI

P.S. Kurt, I posted a pic of a nice 16" brown from the Rifle last summer with TWO red spots on his adipose fin. Don't know if I've seen that myself previously, but perhaps as they get bigger they have more room for spots in places like the adipose fin.

Jonathon
PaulRobertsMay 17th, 2014, 1:01 am
Colorado

BTW that is a very pretty shiner, I'm thinking in the genus Luxilus perhaps?

I know them as Notropis cornutus -apparently synonomous.
Jmd123May 17th, 2014, 2:27 pm
Oscoda, MI

Paul, my latest sources use the genus name Luxilus, including for L. cornutus, the common shiner. I've caught a few myself over the years...

Jonathon
PaulRobertsMay 17th, 2014, 5:37 pm
Colorado

Yes, I saw that. Was surprised. I saw it was an old designation too. Probably re-applied after some shifting around of players. Even the names of our vertebrates aren't safe! :) Funny how I felt a little -offended- by the name change. I've got a soft spot for shiners -actually, any critter come to think of it. If I'm not careful I'm going to start feeling nostalgic about blackflies! I come by it honestly perhaps: My son came home from school the other day and told me how a giant cockroach had run across the floor in class and everybody screamed. My son leapt on it, caught it, and put it outside telling everyone they're way too squeamish and that cockroaches are actually pretty "cute".

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.