Report at a Glance

General RegionUpper Peninsula
Specific LocationSorry =)
Time of DayAll
Fish CaughtBrook Trout

Details and Discussion

Pryal74September 10th, 2010, 1:21 pm
Escanaba, MI

This trout season may be nearing an end but it is certainly not slowing down. I had one of my best trips (09-05-10) that I have had in a long while. I managed to land the two biggest Brook Trout I have ever caught. The female was 17" and I caught a male earlier in the day that was 16" he was much heavier (he was a tie for my biggest). I caught all sizes all day, most being in the ten inch range. The fish took white maribou in the smaller sizes and anything minnow shaped to be honest. I posted the links to the photos below. The water was cold and I had to wear waders for the first time all year. Chris, the guy I guide for always gives me heck over not wearing waders. I like the freedom of not wearing them, besides when it's hot I like the feel of a cool trout stream. Anyway, I hope you all are having a great year trout fishing!

-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing
Jmd123September 10th, 2010, 2:27 pm
Oscoda, MI

NIIIIICE fish, James! Those are real beauties. I personally think brookies are just about the most beautiful fish in the world, certainly in our part of the world - only a spawning male pumpkinseed compares...glad to see you had such good luck in your "undisclosed location". Say YA to da Ooh Pee, Eh?

I too fish mostly without waders these days, unless the water (or air) is cold enough to make me pull them on. I generally don't wear them between May and late September or even into early October in warm years. I don't use a vest anymore either, now I use an Orvis Sling Pack instead. There is something to be said for minimalism - less weight and heat! It all came about because I had to wade through waters up to my shoulders to reach a favorite fishing spot in a stream in Texas - obviously not suitable for wearing waders unless you like them filled and I got tired of having to take all of my flooded fly boxes out of my vest after every time I visited this spot, lest the hooks all rusted away...

I also caught my largest brookie ever this summer, but at 11" it would have looked puny compared to those you got! However, I also caught my two biggest smallmouth ever this summer, 19.5" and 18", and both on a 3-weight! Check out the thread "WHAT DID YOU DO SUNDAY EVENING" for a photo of the 18-incher.

Again, congrats on your big beautiful brookies. May you break your record again next summer!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
LastchanceSeptember 11th, 2010, 8:12 pm
Portage, PA

Great fish.
AdirmanSeptember 12th, 2010, 2:48 am
Monticello, NY

Nice fish and beautiful place!! That must be the WAY upper peninsula of Mich. right?
Shawnny3September 12th, 2010, 10:01 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Beautiful fish, James, and welcome to the forum. One day I hope to catch a native brookie that large. Heck, half that large would still be a beauty. Congratulations.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Pryal74September 13th, 2010, 8:14 am
Escanaba, MI

Thanks for everyones replies.

@ JMD123, Yes I wouldn't tell my favorite Brook Trout locations. I try to explore as much water as I can during the year. As for Smallmouths, I hunt them down as much as I can, usually in the fall, my biggest is 24 and 1/8 inches 8 lbs. Only a lil more than a pound off the state record and my next 2 biggest are sevens. I love fishing for all species actually. I just don't have enough time to do it. I like Trout fishing the most because of the challenge, skill and also the serenity it provides. I guess I could post some more trout photos from this year as well.

@Adirman Yes the only U.P. Michigan =) it's a great place to fish and I love taking clients out to share them.

@Shawnny3 thanks and glad to be here!

-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.