Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Wulff patterns

WiflyfisherApril 2nd, 2014, 9:36 pm
Wisconsin

I thought I should not mess up CJ's beautiful March Brown thread post.

I love da Wulff...

I also have containers full of just Royal Coachman Wulff dries and also another container full of really large Wulff patterns for the big evening drakes. (I am not as disciplined at Matt, so I use stacked containers.)

At times I will clip the hackle underneath the hook so they float flush on the water like a comparadun.

John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
Jmd123April 2nd, 2014, 9:45 pm
Oscoda, MI

OH YAH, that there's the stuff!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnApril 3rd, 2014, 9:05 am
Novi, MI

John S,

I saw this last night and was going to warn you...My Wings were hassling the Bruins, so I was distracted, but you went and did it now...Wulffs!? You are just rattling Jonathan's cage...He was behaving himself and not bothering anyone up there in his little corner of the north woods, and you bring up Wulff's...Might as well get it over with and post your tin of Adams. :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
WiflyfisherApril 3rd, 2014, 4:17 pm
Wisconsin

Spence, since you brought up the Adams I feel compelled to post these YouTube videos you and Jonathon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNIinE5J9QY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK3Exd6qqc0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Okh-dxzbY#t=535

You asked! :-)
John S.
Jmd123April 3rd, 2014, 5:33 pm
Oscoda, MI

Yep, that's another "old reliable" for me and probably most others on here as well...man, gotta start tying again! Trout season will sneak up on me if I don't...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
CatskilljonApril 3rd, 2014, 7:25 pm
Upstate NY

Nice John, Lee is smiling somewhere!

A friend of mine turned me on to those years ago, the white Wulff to be specific. Right at dark when you can hardly see to tie the last fly on, he walked one over and said "try this while you can still see". We were dragging trout in till pitch black.

He told me on the walk back that he see's white moths around the water right at dusk, and that's the reason for their success. While I didn't see any moths on the water, it made me believe and I have been carrying them ever since. CJ
WiflyfisherApril 4th, 2014, 5:59 pm
Wisconsin

More Wulff (also called Hair Wing Royal Coachman)....

John S.
OldredbarnApril 4th, 2014, 6:02 pm
Novi, MI

man, gotta start tying again! Trout season will sneak up on me if I don't...

Took my nephew over to Oakland U this morning and they have a little pond in the middle of campus with a bridge over it...The pond was still frozen over! Not good enough to walk on probably, but you couldn't fly fish it either...The rain we are getting down here might clear some of this away, and we are supposed to get a couple nights where it isn't actually below freezing during the night.

Can you spell p-r-o-c-r-a-s-t-i-n-a-t-o-r? What you waiting for, man?! My mentor used to say, "Spence. If you're not tying them, you're buying them!" :)

Get tying! I wouldn't care if it was your damn KBF! At least you'd be wrapping something to a hook. :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
OldredbarnApril 4th, 2014, 6:48 pm
Novi, MI

John,

Thanks for the wonderful video! I have never seen it before.

It is an interesting tie...Especially tying the wings up front and mounting them one at a time...I also like the half-hitch without a bobbin.

We have a Grayling tier, Jerry Regan, that ties the older traditional flies and he has a device that looks like the spring part of those old hand held things folks would squeeze to strengthen their hands...It sits in the palm of his hand, and the thread goes through it, and is wrapped with his finger and his thumb.

Back in 96 I was cleaning the Au Sable with a couple friends...It was the first or second river clean up organized by the Anglers of the Au Sable. One of these guys was the late John Barton who wrote for the Ann Arbor News. He gave me a yellow bodied parachute Adams tied on a 16 that he swore by during the Sulpher hatch. It has the Golden Pheasant tippet tail and the post is white deer belly (or maybe calf tail or body hair). I saved it in my collection of flies.

The Adams and the Borchers are two flies that some folks still swear by in Michigan. The Adams is probably the first dry fly a new tier ties.

Thanks!

Spence

WiflyfisherApril 4th, 2014, 9:01 pm
Wisconsin

Jonathon, here ya go... my Hex Wulff!!! :-)

I have tied so many flies this winter I have to buy more containers.
John S.
Jmd123April 4th, 2014, 11:30 pm
Oscoda, MI

You guys are killing me... ;oD

You may find this peculiar, but I don't tie much during winter, unless I'm steelhead fishing (too cold for that this year!). When I'm not fishing I don't tie...when I was younger I did, and tied a lot of flies just for fun to see if I could do them. Over the years the number of fly patterns that I used dwindled as I found a few favorites that produced consistently in nearly all the situations I encountered (still true in my local waters). Some of which you have illustrated above!! This is at odds with Spence who believes 20 fly boxes may not quite be enough...and who also likes to periodically razz me about why I don't have my own private entomology lab and don't tie year-round considering all of the fishing that I do...

We've still got a while before fly fishing for anything other than steelhead is viable up here, Spence. There have been flood warnings recently on the Rifle River! And it's going to be a slow start to the season, was last spring and it will be even more so this year. Heck, I'm wondering if I'll even be able to throw flies at my hometown lake for bass & panfish when I go home for Easter! Not to mention, been to my local range twice now and that's doing a lot to blow away the Winter Blues (pun intended). I'll get the vice humming soon enough...

Jonathon
OldredbarnApril 4th, 2014, 11:37 pm
Novi, MI

Jonathon...We just don't want you to think we have forgotten about you way up there in the tundra. :)

Spence

GusJuly 10th, 2014, 7:10 pm
colorado

thanks for the video!
"How do you help that son of a bitch?"

"By taking him fishing"

-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.