Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Equipment for the 67 yr old flyfisher beginner

TyroJanuary 8th, 2014, 6:26 pm
illinois

I'm an older fisherman who inherited a Wright McGill "Granger" (#6590) 9' fly rod from my father-in-laws father and am eager to learn the art of fly casting for trout. I understand that rod, reel, line, etc. needs to be a balanced combo, but am unsure what weight reel and line would go well with this rod. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Thanks
TroutnutJanuary 8th, 2014, 8:58 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

It doesn't look like that's a model they're making anymore, and it's a fairly specialized question, so I would suggest contacting the manufacturer directly (here's their contact information) to ask about that particular rod. You're correct that the reel and line need to be appropriate for the rod.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
EntomanJanuary 8th, 2014, 10:27 pm
Northern CA & ID

Welcome to the forum!

Don't fish with that rod until you've had it looked at! Based on your age and the fact it came from somebody of your grandfathers generation, I'm assuming it may have substantial collectible value. The rod is named after one of the old masters, Goodwin Granger. He was affiliated with W&M for awhile and produced rods for them. If I remember my history, they were modestly priced rods of decent workmanship but made of inferior bamboo. Frankly, not the best outfit to learn with even if it turns out to be less valuable than I assume.

BTW - look for a designation on the rod showing three letters together like "HCH." That was how lines were designated before AFTMA when all lines were made of silk. They will tell the proper line match for your rod. From there you'd be able to determine a matching reel.

Best,
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TyroJanuary 9th, 2014, 9:19 am
illinois

Thanks, Guys

I've emailed Eagle already but haven't gotten a reply yet about the rod. I'll probably call them in the next day or so.

Entoman,

I should have mentioned that the rod I've inherited is fiberglass. I'll look more closely to see if I can find a line designation.

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll have more questions.
FalsiflyJanuary 9th, 2014, 9:48 am
Hayward, WI.

A LITTLE HISTORY
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
EntomanJanuary 9th, 2014, 5:06 pm
Northern CA & ID

Thanks, Al. Had forgotten the Phillipson connection. He later went on to build fiberglass rods under his own name. They were arguably the best on the market in that material. I owned a couple back in the early 70's that were pretty sweet.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TyroJanuary 9th, 2014, 5:52 pm
illinois

Thanks, Gentlemen

An interesting history lesson. I finally talked with Wright & McGill and was told that my rod was produced in 1951 and that it is a 4-5 wt.
TyroJanuary 10th, 2014, 8:58 am
illinois

Now I need to choose a reel. I'm looking at the Orvis Encounter 11 large arbor for 50 bucks. Anybody out there have any thoughts on how this reel would function for a beginner fly fisherman?
FalsiflyJanuary 10th, 2014, 9:34 am
Hayward, WI.

Tyro,I don't know that this consideration would necessarily be a problem but you may want to check the reel fit to the rod real seat.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
TyroJanuary 12th, 2014, 4:44 pm
illinois

Thanks, Falsify
I talked with Orvis and got the the reel's foot dimensions, which will work fine with my rod's reel seat.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.