Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Steelhead November 16 - 17

WbranchNovember 28th, 2013, 7:46 pm
York & Starlight PA

Well my buddy & I drove up to the Salmon River on the 15th, or was it the 9th & 10th? I can't remember and it really doesn't matter.

Fishing, compared to the Erie creeks was tough, and for me poor, my buddy landed four all about 6# each and Matt landed zip, nada, nothing. It was disturbing to go fishless considering if we had gone to the Erie creeks I would likely of landed 6 - 8 each day.

It was very crowded and in a 200' section of river, with everyone on one side, I counted 55 guys. Some with 15' spey rods, other guys with 11' switch rods, a few guys, like my buddy, with a 9' fly rod, and a bunch of guys with 10' - 12' noodle spin rods. The guys with the noodle rods and single, real, eggs were by far were the most successful. It was a nice experience to be away with my best buddy and we always have a lot of laughs. We've been fishing together for 55 years and it's more fun to see him hook-up than if I do.

BTW - On December 30 I go in for an entire hip replacement. Initially I thought I needed back surgery to correct a spinal stenosis condition but I've learned the hip is in far worse condition than my back. I'm more than ready as I've had the problem since May and the pain has only been getting worse.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
JOHNWNovember 28th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Sorry to hear about the tough trip but that is what makes the good days stand out and keeps us interested isn't it?

Good luck with your surgery. I predict you will be back at the oars in time for the rotundas on your cabin pool. :)
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
WbranchNovember 28th, 2013, 10:36 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hi John,

"I predict you will be back at the oars in time for the rotundas on your cabin pool. :)"

Well I hope so as I made reservations for a week in Andros beginning April 02.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
OldredbarnNovember 29th, 2013, 7:09 pm
Novi, MI

Matt...How did all those guys co-exist? It seems like they would all be tangled up with each other or casting into each other's water?! :)

You hang in there and listen to the physical therapist. That's an order, sir. :) We will be thinking about you.

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Al514November 29th, 2013, 8:13 pm
Central New York

Spence....If you haven't seem the Salmon River at peak season, it is really something to watch! Great people watching experience if you're in a crowded place.

I recommend it.

Matt - hope all goes well with the hip replacement. My father had a full hip replacement about 5 years ago....he is a different man! I've experienced things with him that at one time I never thought would be possible - climbing ADK High Peaks, taking him fishing. He loves just being up and around. I can't even help him shovel or do the lawn anymore....which isn't a bad thing.
MartinlfNovember 29th, 2013, 8:27 pm
Palmyra PA

Good luck with the surgery, Matt; you've proven that the will to fish is strong enough to pull you through whatever comes your way.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GusJanuary 7th, 2014, 7:32 pm
colorado

I was fishing the Salmon the week before y'all and a buddy and I had it all to ourselves. Only landed a couple small ones but it was a beautiful area. I can't wait to fish it this winter. Any recommendations on access?

Hope the hip gets fixed up so you can get back on the river soon. My dad had his replaced and he has been able to do some much more that he was doing before the surgery.
"How do you help that son of a bitch?"

"By taking him fishing"

-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.