Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Big Ny stream browns and steehead

Jhough03November 15th, 2017, 11:49 am
3129 Sundial Rd. Dover PA

Just last weekend we were fishing up in Oak Orchard creek in Ny for large browns and steelhead. I had a lot of issues with line breaking specifically tippets. Not used to these big powerful fish making runs downstream often ripping line off faster than u can control taking u down to backing before u know it. I consulted Orvis and they said go with 2X tippet for best performance. Also looking for tips on how to play these fish. My issue is the same as a lot up there I see about 80% of the fish lost. I don’t think a majority of the people know how to fight these fish. Talking brown trout over 10 pounds and steelies over 8 in a lot of cases. Thanks for any input!
WbranchNovember 15th, 2017, 1:37 pm
York & Starlight PA

I have fished the Salmon River for big browns, salmon and steelhead and many of the fresh salmon are very strong and you will experience many break-offs. You would far more salmon if it wasn't so darn crowded and you could crank down on the drag to try to keep them in the pool. Any time there are guys within 10' on either side of you it is combat fishing and shouldn't be called fly fishing.

If the water is stained I would never use less than 0X for kings and cohoes.
For the browns and steelhead water turbidity is a good indicator of what tippet to use. I can remember using Maxima 15# tippet sometimes on the Salmon River when the big browns were running. Unless the water is really clear where you can see the fish these big fish are typically not leader shy.

They are big aggressive fish and when something that resembles food comes in front of them they are likely going to eat it.

When you hook up you want play the fish with side pressure as that is more tiring then keeping the rod in the same plane as you do when casting.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.