Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Brood II

CrepuscularJune 23rd, 2013, 8:38 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Well since it's about over I'll post these. ;)
The emergence was spotty but I am lucky enough to have my office a couple minutes from a place where the cicadas and wild trout interface.

OldredbarnJune 23rd, 2013, 10:59 pm
Novi, MI

The trout eats those ugly things?! Ugh...
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CrepuscularJune 24th, 2013, 5:31 am
Boiling Springs, PA

The trout eats those ugly things?! Ugh...

Like candy
Kschaefer3June 24th, 2013, 9:07 am
St. Paul, MN

Nice fly. Looks very similar to the real deal.

Like candy
How could they pass up a bug that big?

Probably catching mostly little ones on those though ;)
CrepuscularJune 24th, 2013, 12:12 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Your fly pattern is epic Eric.

Not my pattern. I just tie it. The creator is Blane Chocklett, of gummy minnow fame. I did change materials a bit though. He calls for loco skin for the abdomen and while this works, I use sticky back foam which floats a bit higher like the natural. But it's a pretty effective fly.
MartinlfJune 24th, 2013, 12:41 pm
Palmyra PA

Looks like it could fly and chirp. Great tie, Eric.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CrepuscularJune 24th, 2013, 5:37 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Well you made a good one. How is it for casting???
what are the wings made of???
What size hook is it ???

Mack.

Well i fish it on a pretty short 2X leader and mange to get it out there. The rod I use is dictated by the stream I'm on. If it's big water I'll us a fast action 5wt if its a small stream I will use a slower rod.

The wings are made out of Blane Chocklett's wing material i don't even know what it's called.

I tie mine on a size 6 popper hook
AdirmanJune 25th, 2013, 5:53 am
Monticello, NY

Yes, very nice tie, near perfect as a matter of fact!!
GutcutterJune 25th, 2013, 6:39 pm
Pennsylvania

The trout eats those ugly things?

Like candy

Yup

All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Jmd123June 25th, 2013, 10:57 pm
Oscoda, MI

YEE-HAW, boys! Tear that "hatch" ("fall?") up! It'll be what, another 13 or 17 years before you see that again?

Fabulous flies, Eric! I would think a short (8 foot), stiff 5-weight would be best for throwing those flies...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
CrepuscularJune 26th, 2013, 10:30 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Fabulous flies, Eric! I would think a short (8 foot), stiff 5-weight would be best for throwing those flies...

Jonathon

Thanks, It depends on where you are fishing as to what rod works best. A stiff rod takes line to load. If it is a small stream a somewhat softer rods loads better with less line out the end. You can always go up a line size as well.
OldredbarnJune 26th, 2013, 12:03 pm
Novi, MI

of gummy minnow fame

Someone has to get up pretty early to slip something past you kid-o! You are a sponge...Just file it back in the brain library somewhere and someday it may come in handy. :) Gummy minnow fame?! Ha! I'm busting a gut!

Between you and that Bob buddy of yours over in Middletown those trout in PA must be nervous wrecks! They have to visit the trout shrink every other week. ;)

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
OldredbarnJune 26th, 2013, 12:19 pm
Novi, MI

Yup

Tony...Eric sent me a PM back when all this got started...I told him to be careful not to let Tony know or he'll be pointing the fishing wagon north...His email back to me was simply, "Too late!" :)

Just place the fuzz buster on the dash and leave Pittsburgh under the cover of darkness. ;) Too bad I wasn't chasing your tailights through the mountains like I did in April...

The Hex madness must be in full swing up north here...It is way too quiet. No one is even whispering a damn thing...Blood-shot eyes, crazed looks in the eyes, coffee pots always going, and the aroma of Deet in the air...Its a totally different level of consiousness...The world outside, especially the daylight one, no longer exists. Creatures of the night.

Spence

Jmd123June 26th, 2013, 6:32 pm
Oscoda, MI

Spence, a buddy of mine called me last night around 11:30 p.m. and told me that the McDonalds in Tawas was covered in Hexagenia...time for me to hit Cooke Pond with the kayak and a box of big flies...neither the Pine nor the Rifle has a Hex hatch, but the Light Cahills come off around the same time and especially on the Rifle it can be almost as good as the Hex.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.