Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > How big is a Grannom larva?, Page 2

EntomanDecember 22nd, 2012, 5:48 pm
Northern CA & ID

Other than Kurt's hint about my Tigers...wonderful discussion. :)

Well, it was before the World Series when your boys were riding high from sweeping the Yanks and mine were hanging on by a thread... Out of charity and in light of the season, I won't say anything more.:)

"Tying and Fishing Caddisflies: With Gary La Fontaine and Friends"...

While being far from the "eyeball & elbow" crowd (especially if they are overly complicated or stiff looking), I don't agree with those that label anything more than impressionistic fuzzballs as unnecessarily precise either. You can usually tell those boys by their desire to name flies the "(insert common, geographic or personal noun) Ugly." :)

I agree that trout don't tend to focus on negatives (the hook issue), but would add the caveat "only when the positives are much stronger." It is a matter of degree. The fact is they do associate shapes recognized as food, and some inanimate objects such as a few caddis cases (and hopefully our flies) certainly fall into this category. For example, Grannom are much better imitated (so the trout confirm) by a compact body of peacock or closely trimmed feathers and hair than some loosely spun, overly fuzzy and/or bulbous one that completely blows the silhouette. That's one example of the importance of properly imitating the inanimate object.

It was nice revisiting this after all these years. Gary was a rare one and truly thought outside the box. Sometimes I thought, as I watched it, that Jack & Mike where looking at him with a puzzled look on their faces...Kind of, "What will this guy say next?!" :)

Ha! It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I remember the same as well. I think they were just trying to compose themselves from the hilarity that took place seconds before. I'd love to see what ended up on the cutting room floor! :) Gary always struck me (again in keeping with the season) as that troublesome and iconoclastic elf in Santa's workshop always designing and constructing "off the wall" toys instead of sticking with the "tried and true" on Santa's list. Some work, some don't. Come to think of it, couldn't you see him in an elf hat playing the role in a "Saturday Night Live" skit? He had a twinkle in his eye and a funny twist with almost every utterance. He died the same year and month as my father, and of the same horrible disease... What a tragic loss.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
MartinlfApril 8th, 2014, 5:14 pm
Palmyra PA

Ok, sort of remembering this thread, I looked up Paul's grannom, which may be found on page one. Thanks, Paul. And I see you answered my question about using white gel-spun instead of mono before I asked it here. Your ideas have begun to sprout and grow, hopefully at a good time.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.