User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > deleted

OrnOctober 15th, 2012, 8:04 pm

deleted
Jmd123October 15th, 2012, 10:37 pm
Oscoda, MI

Congrats on having your best season ever! I too had my best season ever (there is still a bit of trout fishing to be had on our extended season waters), although my fish were nowhere as big as yours. However, I am not in Iceland fishing in rivers that reach the sea with the obviously fantastic fish runs that come with them. My home waters are small and not too heavily fished - well, some aren't but some are hit pretty hard by worm dunkers, though that doesn't make the fly fishing any harder when they're not being educated by fellow fly flingers! In any case, you scale the fish to the waters you fish, and I had a lot of fun with fish that weren't large in comparison to yours or others on here but from the skinny waters I pulled them from, they looked pretty big! So, with much smaller fish I still share your joy!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123October 15th, 2012, 10:40 pm
Oscoda, MI

OK, maybe that wasn't your best season EVER having reread your post, but hey, still looks like a hell of a lot of good fishing and good fun! I too set several personal records, and that's what made my season so good!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Kschaefer3October 16th, 2012, 9:25 am
St. Paul, MN

Orn - Is the river you fish private? You make mention of "another fisherman that got permission to fish in my river". I'm even more jealous if you are fishing private waters.
Kschaefer3October 16th, 2012, 11:35 am
St. Paul, MN

Wow! That is unbelievable! No wonder the fish are so big, untouched for 100 years. Many people would kill for that...literally. How much land do you have? Or better, how many miles of river? And are all waterways in Iceland private? Water rights laws have always interested me.
Jmd123October 16th, 2012, 12:21 pm
Oscoda, MI

Ah ha, the truth comes out - you DO catch small fish too! Just photographing and showing off the big ones...I'm sure that's true of us all. You've gotta get through a lot of little guys to get a few big ones and maybe one REALLy big one. One of the small local streams that I fish gave up a 14" rainbow for me this past June, and he could have eaten many of the other fish I catch there! Though, this river also produces 11" brookies which is not too shabby either, and I'm told even occasional lake-run fish. But that rainbow looked like a leviathon, especially since this stream isn't even two rod-widths wide (and I use a 7 1/2' 3-weight on it)! And how fortunate that you are able to fish on your very own stream!! Obviously you are taking very good care of it and even establishing "personal relations" with individual fish! You Sir are a lucky man!

Jonathon
Jmd123October 16th, 2012, 6:10 pm
Oscoda, MI

"...fish smaller than 12" don't get a mention in my fishing diary(they would ruin the average and statistics)."

Aaaah, the old trick - withhold data so as to skew your stats... ;oD

Jonathon

P.S. I count ALL of them, even the ones barely longer than my middle finger...so long as they're actually trout!

AdirmanOctober 17th, 2012, 4:37 pm
Monticello, NY

Orn;

That is SO awesome that you have your own private water to fish! Always enjoy your pics and lookin forward to your video!

Jmd123October 17th, 2012, 4:37 pm
Oscoda, MI

Understood. My local small stream swarms with the little guys too, maybe not as many as in your larger river but they can get pretty annoying. Let me ask you this - can you tell how big the fish is if it's rising? I have had a LOT of instances this season (and previous ones) of large fish fooling me with little sipping rises and even hits, thinking, "Oh, another little guy", then the hook gets set and "Uh-oh, maybe not so little!" I have come up with a saying which encourages me to take a shot any any rising fish I see:

"You cannot trust the size of the rise."

Jonathon

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.