Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Wader Repair, Page 2

MartinlfMay 22nd, 2009, 8:17 pm
Palmyra PA

Thanks for the tip, Casey. I was just thinking about Revivex and a leaky rain jacket the other day. I'll check the Simms site for suggestions on using it now, and for future applications for waders.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
MartinlfJune 10th, 2009, 7:20 pm
Palmyra PA

The Simms site also has a very good method for repairing waders, and they show how in a video.

--Fred Chappell
Aaron7_8June 12th, 2009, 8:22 pm
Helena Montana

Thanks for the great tips everyone. Some very sound advice on a matter that will present itself to us all. Tightlines!!!
Shawnny3May 28th, 2010, 11:14 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

An update on the Gorilla Glue wader repair I detailed some time back. To sum up, it failed. The glue remained flexible enough for awhile, but in time it started cracking enough that the larger repairs started leaking again. So I had to tear off the old patches (no easy task) and will try to scrape off the Gorilla Glue and re-repair. This time I'm breaking down and getting Aquaseal. A failed experiment, but a good learning experience. Hope you learn from it the easy way.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
EricdMay 28th, 2010, 2:18 pm
Mpls, MN

Timely update. Thanks Shawnny.
Shawnny3May 31st, 2010, 8:05 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Glad to help, Eric. Anyone know of a good solvent for Gorilla Glue? I tried 70% IPA, but it didn't do much. I don't really want to use acetone for fear of damaging the synthetics in my waders, but that will be next if no one dissuades me. Actually, perhaps I'll give ethanol or methanol a shot first. Any suggestions?

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
MartinlfJune 2nd, 2010, 2:47 pm
Palmyra PA

I don't know of a Gorilla Glue solvent, Shawn. Do they have a website that may give you some tips? I use Gorilla Glue to reinforce biots and parachute tie-offs for flies and to reglue felt soles on wading boots (since one does not have to dry the soles to do this) but I've never tried it for wader repair. Aquaseal is the best for this, I've been told. I've had such bad luck fixing waders I broke down and bought Simms waders last year. Simms will repair their waders (for a price) and pressure test them. I'll post an update on how that turns out when the leaks start. I've heard that LL Bean guarantees their waders for life. If this is true, that's another way to handle any leaks, which are probably inevitable.

P.S. If you try the boot repair, use short screws in the very edges of the soles to reinforce the bond. Be careful that the points have no chance of contacting your actual wader booties, though, or there will be more repairs to do at some point.

--Fred Chappell
TctroutJune 2nd, 2010, 6:52 pm
Posts: 28I absolutely love my Simms waders, but always use my LL Beans simply due to the guarantee (100% customer satisfaction). In the event that they leak and you're on a trip, such as Montana, they will next-day the new pair directly to wherever you're currently fishing...which is crazy, but incredibly customer-friendly. I've owned three pairs now, and endorse them (all have been stockingfoot). I've had one pair leak and LL Bean immediately shipped me a brand-new pair and a shipping label to return the old ones.

TC
VinlflyfishJune 5th, 2010, 5:02 pm
northern cambria

the cheapest wader repair stuff is a good old fashion rubber worm that is melted and applied to the gap or hole
trout; a mans best friend
Shawnny3June 13th, 2010, 5:00 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I tried 95% ethanol to break down the Gorilla Glue, and I'm happy to report that it did the trick quickly and easily. I'm going to stick with that and won't risk using acetone.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
SayfuAugust 29th, 2011, 1:50 pm
Posts: 560Aquaseal is a better, higher grade of "Goop" I am pretty sure, and does not peel at the edges like Goop does.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.