Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Spinners & Cripples, Page 2

GutcutterJune 24th, 2012, 9:57 am
Pennsylvania

I don't tie spinners on bent hooks because I think they look ugly.

I'll agree with this, with a general exception.
I use a TMC 2488 in 20,22 and 24 for a lot my Trico and small BWO spinners. The larger hook gap and stronger wire is offset by the "ugliness" of the finished fly.
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
OldredbarnJune 24th, 2012, 1:16 pm
Novi, MI

Tony,

How about showing us a picture if you can. I think we all would like to see your flies with Trico season about to get going here soon and Spence is heading north in the middle of July...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanJune 24th, 2012, 2:00 pm
Northern CA & ID

Tony -

Actually we are in complete agreement. By bent I meant seriously offset to the side in that contorted shape so popular now, not the rounded bend of a 2488. I think the 2488 is a really good idea for the reasons you mentioned. It seems that 500U's are now hard to get so I will probably go to the 88 if the former can't be replaced when my supply runs out.

I typically use 100's down to size 20 and then switch to the 500U in size 20 & 22 to continue the progression. If the critters are smaller than that - well, I give up! :) Other than going one size smaller, is that what you do with the 88's?

How about showing us a picture if you can. I think we all would like to see your flies with Trico season about to get going here soon and Spence is heading north in the middle of July...:)

Ditto.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
LastchanceJune 25th, 2012, 7:42 am
Portage, PA

I think everyone on this site is a little offset to the side. Ha! Ha!

Bruce, Lastchance,Goose, Feathers5

PS. Tony I'll be back from Ohio on Sunday and ready to fish some tricos.
TaxonJune 25th, 2012, 8:31 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Bruce-

A little offset to the side, you say? Well, surely not intending to speak for anyone else around here, but I very strongly resemble that remark. :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
MartinlfJune 26th, 2012, 12:49 am
Palmyra PA

Me too, Roger.

As for little hooks, I'm partial to the Varivas Ultra Midge hooks. I bought up all I could find years back when they were discontinued in the States. Now they have to be ordered from overseas. The UK seems to be the most American friendly source. With lighter wire and more gap than any Tiemco hook with the exception of the 518, the Ultra Midge comes in sizes 18-28. They are very strong as well. I've landed 17" fish on the size 22 hook, which is equal in length to a TMC 100 size 26. It is very rare to miss a hookset with these hooks, or to have one come out.

Kurt, I have some 500U's that I'll let go pretty cheap. Want me to see what I have?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
EntomanJune 26th, 2012, 1:53 am
Northern CA & ID

You bet! That would be greatly appreciated.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularJune 26th, 2012, 9:27 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Anyone use the Daiichi 1110 hooks or Tiemco 531? I am a fan of both. The Daiichi are straight eye, which i guess in theory opens up the gap, also the 531's are 2x short which, on a #20 would give you the shank length of a #24 but the gap od a #20. I have never had a fish sraiughten one out eventhough they are fine wire and I have caught fish over 20" with them. I actually use them in sizes from #14-20.
GutcutterJune 26th, 2012, 12:39 pm
Pennsylvania

Anyone use the Daiichi 1110 hooks

Count me in as a fan of these hooks, too.
They have an oversized eye, which not only allows those of us who suffer from age related presbyopia (yes, it will happen to all of us, even me!) to thread the eye easier, it also lets us use a larger diameter tippet for a small fly (TNEAL - this is the hook for you!).

I use the 1110 for very lightly dressed midge drys and emergers, when the weight of the 2488 would otherwise sink the dry fly.

I am also a fan of the Gamakatsu C12-BM, a large eye midge hook, which has the shape of a 2487, but light wire and an oversized eye. They go down to a size 30, but in comparison to the 2487, they are only a 28. Huge difference ;).

The 531 hook (unfortunately) only goes down to a size 20.
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
MartinlfJune 26th, 2012, 12:47 pm
Palmyra PA

Interesting, Eric. I just took a look at the 531 online. Thanks; I've been looking for hooks like the Varivas hooks that are more readily available, and I hadn't taken a good look at the TMC 531. I use the TMC 921's for some smaller flies and like them a lot, but the 531 is finer wire and a bigger gap, much like the Varivas. I've used the Daiichi 1640 a bit, and like them. They are similar to the Varivas, but with a slightly smaller hook gap, closer to the TMC 921. They also have heavier wire, and a slight offset in the point.

Kurt, I took a look and my 500U's are 16's and 18's. If I remember rightly, you're looking for smaller sizes. If not, they're yours. Some alternatives for really small flies might be small sizes of Daiichi 1640, a ring eye hook, the Tiemco 531's Eric mentions, or the Varivas hooks. I know a shop in England that will ship the Varivas hooks if you're interested.

Tony, that fly Gonzo gave me that worked so well the last time we were trico fishing was tied on a TMC 2488. I really should use these some. Perhaps your influence will nudge me that way. I like a straight shank hook for spinners generally, and the bend has put me off, but I shouldn't let my biases interfere with my tying, now should I? ;>

--Fred Chappell
EntomanJune 26th, 2012, 1:17 pm
Northern CA & ID

Kurt, I took a look and my 500U's are 16's and 18's

Aggg... Thanks for looking. Yes, I only use them in size 20's and 22's. I've got a thousand or more in size 14 that I haven't figured out a use for yet! An order mix-up is how I ended up with them.

BTW - The big straight eyes don't bother you guys? In terms of imprint on the surface film, it seems to me they enlarge the fly substantially. In these small sizes they're pretty obvious.
MartinlfJune 26th, 2012, 4:14 pm
Palmyra PA

The Varivas hooks have very small eyes. So small, in fact that with the smaller sizes it is sometimes hard to thread an unblocked eye with 7X. In addition, I reverse hackle hackle style flies, starting the hackle at the eye, and whip finishing behind the hackle. My parachutes are reversed and tied off under the post, so there is no head on them either. Ultimately the fish judge, and these flies have worked on some well-educated fish.

--Fred Chappell
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.