Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > The white winged curse!

PartsmanJuly 30th, 2020, 1:13 pm
bancroft michigan

Well, I have been bitten hard by the white winged curse, Tricos are driving me crazy! I get up at 2:30 am and make the two and half drive to my favorite river, then get to my favorite spot and wait. It has been a wonderful season as far as fish caught, although all of the circumstances of this year have really sucked. But god help me I love this trico fishing, and then the olives that come a little later. Fish rising, and the sky just above my head filled with little white winged devils! Im a work in progress on this fishing, but this is so cool and I think what dry fly fishing is all about. I caught some huge fish early this summer at night, and that was fun, but this is better. I just need to figure out the right pattern, which Im working on. I hope all of you flyfishers are finding some joy in these trying times! And if I can lend a hand let me know, because at 63 years young Im just a rookie at this to!
Mike.
WbranchJuly 30th, 2020, 4:29 pm
York & Starlight PA

Talk to Louis. He ties a reverse Trico spinner that he does well with. I enjoy Tricos but can't see the fly. I tie a #18 Adams parachute to a long 6X tippet and then add another 2" of 6X to which I tie the Trico. When the Adams is pulled under I know a trout ate the Trico. I often have success with a sunken spinner. Just add a tiny black bead to the hook before tying a standard spinner.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
AfishinadoJuly 31st, 2020, 4:02 am
SE PA

Well, I have been bitten hard by the white winged curse, Tricos are driving me crazy! I get up at 2:30 am and make the two and half drive to my favorite river, then get to my favorite spot and wait. It has been a wonderful season as far as fish caught, although all of the circumstances of this year have really sucked. But god help me I love this trico fishing, and then the olives that come a little later. Fish rising, and the sky just above my head filled with little white winged devils! Im a work in progress on this fishing, but this is so cool and I think what dry fly fishing is all about. I caught some huge fish early this summer at night, and that was fun, but this is better. I just need to figure out the right pattern, which Im working on. I hope all of you flyfishers are finding some joy in these trying times! And if I can lend a hand let me know, because at 63 years young Im just a rookie at this to!
Mike.

Al Miller's Trico pattern is easy to tie and very effective for imitating Trico spinners > https://midcurrent.com/videos/tying-the-als-trico/
MartinlfJuly 31st, 2020, 9:59 am
Palmyra PA

Mike, there are some Trico threads I'll bump up. My favorite spinner is a reverse parachute. I tie some with colored posts for glare, etc. Black is good in severe glare, and a Puglisi fiber fire red post can be seen from afar. I've had pressured wild fish eat it plenty of times. Try Tiemco 2488's for gap, or Varivas midge hooks. Al Miller's pattern is the bomb too. My spinner was inspired by it.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Brian314September 26th, 2020, 12:58 pm
Fenton, MI.

In 2018 I fished size 20 Renegades during trico mornings in the fall - only caught small brookies (my ususal ... LOL) but they were hitting on 'em.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.