User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Chimarra, Page 2

The Specimen

The Discussion

EntomanFebruary 22nd, 2014, 2:11 am
Northern CA & ID

That helps Mack. Those were most likely pupae in their early development and thus retained a lot of larval color. By the time they emerge they have largely (usually) taken on the color of the adults, though in some cases more vibrant. The word pupa is often erroneously used by us anglers to describe what are technically pharate adults (pharates that have eclosed from the pupal cuticle and exited their shelters). This is why there is so much confusion about color. A species seined from the drift in the process of emergence can look quite different in color from its brothers pried from a rock earlier in the cycle.

Though I can't think of an orange pharate adult or "emergent pupa" in that size range (they are usually either very tiny or very large), there are several possibilities for it in early development. The saddle-case makers of the Glossosomatidae, smaller tube case making Limnephiloidea like the Apataniidae smoky sedges and even the philopotamid finger-net caddis like the Chimarra example above could possibly be orange hued as larvae and early stage pupae. Coloration can vary quite a bit depending on habitat and strain and samples are thin. Try to get some pictures this Summer.

I'm trying, Roger...;)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmd123February 22nd, 2014, 12:39 pm
Oscoda, MI

Kurt, Roger is just trying to "keep it real", or at least keep it about fly fishing...

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
EntomanFebruary 23rd, 2014, 3:14 am
Northern CA & ID

Yes, I got that.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnFebruary 23rd, 2014, 11:13 am
Novi, MI

Sorry Roger...I have a short attention span.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TaxonFebruary 23rd, 2014, 2:39 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

:-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
CrepuscularFebruary 23rd, 2014, 9:46 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Yes, I got that.

:)
EntomanFebruary 24th, 2014, 10:11 pm
Northern CA & ID

The lack of larval cases excludes all but the philopotomids, at least from my list of possibilities. Perhaps they are the less common Dolophilodes (Winter Caddis). That would explain the relative lack of Pupae during your early Summer sampling. They do emerge a little in the Summer, but are mostly Fall/Winter emergers. Another possibility is Wormaldia (Little Fall Stream Caddis). Though even less common, they are more likely to be found in the smaller upland streams you frequent than the other two. What has me wondering more than the color you are reporting is their size. A size 16 is outsized for these genera according to most reports. Without a look at the critter, discussions of what it may or may not be is pretty speculative.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.