Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Pseudo Hackle

TomMarkertOctober 6th, 2011, 8:09 pm
Willow Grove PA

New to the forum, but have been reading for a week or two. My question is:
Has anyone had any experience with this stuff?
Pseudo Hackle by Hareline. It comes in two "Sizes" 1/2 inch and 1 1/2 inch
Not easy to work with at first, but after playing with it for a bit I was able to use it to palmer some wooly buggers and Kracklebacks. Anything under a size 12 3x shank looks like poo though.
I have been playing with the left over trimmings as antenna and tail material and have even took some of the fibers and tried mixing it into hares mask dubbing. FAIL
I bought a TON of this stuff and am now stuck with it. Anyone have any ideas or tips or tricks? (Before the young and patient lady to my left disembowels me!)
I think I'm confused, wait, maybe not!
EntomanOctober 11th, 2011, 6:34 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum! Besides ribbing wooly buggers, you can wrap the stuff tight and trim it to a lot of different shapes. Caddis cases, dragonfly nymph bodies, sculpin bodies, etc. You can also rib big nymphs with it and trim to simulate gills. There are all kinds of possibilities.

Of course it may just end up as part of your material collection that is seldom used. Don't feel bad if it turns out to be the latter. I've got a closet full of stuff in that category, so you wouldn't be alone. Besides, you never know what light bulb may go off in your head someday in the future.:)

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmd123October 11th, 2011, 10:17 pm
Oscoda, MI

To be honest, there have been materials that have sat in my fly tying boxes for years, even more than a decade without being used for anything. Then one day, I pulled some out and started messing around with them, and for example, came up with at least two deadly variants (the original and the rainbow) of my Killer Bass Fly, which has been one of my most successful patterns ever. So, you never know...all it takes is a little imagination. In the above case, it involved grizzly marabou (plucked from the backsides of capes and saddles, when they used to leave that stuff on there instead of trimming off everything that wasn't "perfect"), silver tinsel chenille, and some rainbow sparkle-braid-type stuff. Now I can't live without those materials! OK, yes I can, but will catch a lot less fish and be a lot less happy...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TomMarkertOctober 15th, 2011, 7:49 pm
Willow Grove PA

Thanks for the replies, and Kurt thanks for the ideas.
My newest experiment with it was trimming off a few fibers and using only the "Rib" to imitate a shuck on a crippled emerger. Havent gotten to the water yet to see how it sits in the water.
I think I'm confused, wait, maybe not!
NeoDocMay 11th, 2015, 11:53 am
Irvine, CA

Just ran across this as a material > check out YouTube video - pseudo diawl fly pattern fly (4 years after your question)

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.