Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fishing with My Nephew: Fourth Annual Trip

Martinlf has attached these 6 pictures to this report. The message is below.
Shown Full Size
A 20" Juniata smallie.
A 20" Juniata smallie.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2X larger)
A farm pond bass, caught on a Whitlock hare water pup.
A farm pond bass, caught on a Whitlock hare water pup.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.2X larger)
The striper.
The striper.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2X larger)
A Susquehanna smallie.
A Susquehanna smallie.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.2X larger)
A Raystown largemouth.
A Raystown largemouth.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.6X larger)
Maiden Creek bass.
Maiden Creek bass.

Report at a Glance

General RegionPennsylvania
Specific Locationlocal rivers and a farm pond
Time of DaySunrise to sundown most days
Fish CaughtSmallmouth, Largemouth, Longear Sunfish, and a Striper
Conditions & HatchesSunny mostly. Although we had a heavy swimbait hatch a few days, and spinnerbaits others, some fish were caught on the fly, including a 17" smallie Marvin caught on a wooly bugger.

Details and Discussion

MartinlfJuly 5th, 2017, 5:37 pm
Palmyra PA

So my nephew Marvin returned to Pennsylvania for our fourth annual outing, but a bit later in the year this go around, to hit the warm water fishing at an optimum time. He used his considerable warm water fishing skills to score big while he was here, catching the most and the biggest fish almost every day. We started with guide Juan Veruete floating the Juniata two days for smallmouth. Then came heavy rain that blew all the rivers out, so we fished a friend’s farm pond and caught some largemouths. Next we caught smallies on the Susquehanna. Our final float was on Maiden Creek and the Schuylkill where we caught largemouth, smallmouth, and longear sunfish. Marvin had a follow and a hit from a big musky as well, but the fish eluded the hook somehow.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
OldredbarnJuly 5th, 2017, 6:23 pm
Novi, MI

Looks like the Boys are having some fun!!! -Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123July 5th, 2017, 6:46 pm
Oscoda, MI

Never pass up an opportunity for good warmwater fishing, especially with a fly rod! Nice looking bass! It's popper season! Also, saw the first big mayfly hatch out of the lake, and that means Cooke Pond smallie time!

Glad you two have established an annual fishing trip routine. Different adventures every year! My buddies Joe and Todd will be coming up in the fall this year, just to mix it up because their first two trips were in the spring. Again, good trip and fun times!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
MartinlfJuly 6th, 2017, 4:24 pm
Palmyra PA

It was a great adventure, Spence. We caught over 50 bass a couple of days, and saw all kinds of water. And I learned some new things about spin fishing, which I've largely neglected of late.

Jonathon, we feel lucky to have found this shared interest that brings us together. Our family is relatively scattered all over the U.S. now, and our trips bring back memories and help ground us in a common heritage.

All best to you two Troutnuts, who I've known now for more than a little while. Glad to have you as vicarious fishing buddies.

--Fred Chappell
WbranchJuly 9th, 2017, 5:25 pm
York & Starlight PA

Louis,

Did you hire a guide for the Raystown trip? It looks like a nice boat with downriggers.

BTW I went to the Tully this morning. At 7:30 there were big clouds of mating Tricos. By 8:00 a.m. the surface of the stream was covered with thousands of spinners.

The flow was 304 cfs and the water was very turbid. Only a few fish rose and only a few of them were repeat risers. I wonder if the turbidity affected the trout's ability to see the tiny Trico spinners?

When I first arrived at 6:00 a.m. there was a young fellow with a spinning rod throwing 3" long little rainbow trout crank baits. In just a few minutes he caught a 14" rainbow which he put on a stringer and then a 17" rainbow which I measured. He culled the 14" fish off the stringer, it was very much alive, and put the 17" on the stringer. The bigger trout are obviously still in the stream but were not rising today. I got bored and left at 9:00.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfJuly 9th, 2017, 7:01 pm
Palmyra PA

Yes, Matt, we hired a guide for Raystown. We also caught smallmouth and lake trout there. It was fun. I'm wondering if the big Tully trout will ever key on the surface bugs. If anything will bring them up I'd guess the Tricos will. The cooler weather should help the fish stay healthy for a while, anyway. Streamers?

--Fred Chappell
PaulRobertsJuly 22nd, 2017, 1:19 pm
Colorado

Looks like fun. Very nice, Louis.
MartinlfJuly 24th, 2017, 6:16 am
Palmyra PA

Thanks, Paul. Hope all is well over your way.

--Fred Chappell
MartinlfSeptember 14th, 2017, 6:50 pm
Palmyra PA

Bumping this up for Matt--remember?? Most of these fish were caught with spinning rods, so how could I fault you for using one??

--Fred Chappell
MartinlfFebruary 22nd, 2021, 10:51 am
Palmyra PA

Grayson, here are some photos of bass. Some were caught on flies, others on spinning gear.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.