Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Help getting a new rod

WI_FisherAugust 27th, 2016, 2:41 pm
Posts: 8Hey new member here. So I recently splurged a little bit a few days ago and bought a sage 3250 5-6 wt reel and im looking for a good rod to go with it. I mostly fish on a smallish stream for trout and occasionally for panfish and bass. I currently have a redington path with a redington drift reel that I like but wanted to treat myself.
My budget is 350 to 400. Thanks for any help.
PartsmanAugust 27th, 2016, 6:00 pm
bancroft michigan

For $425 dollars I like my new orvis 5wt. recon, but shop around, cast rods at your local flyshop and see what feels good to you.

Mike.
WI_FisherAugust 27th, 2016, 9:33 pm
Posts: 8Two rods that keep jumping out is the Redington vapen and the Redington Hydrogen. Anyone know anything about them? Tried them? I forgot to say that my other rod is a 5wt. Would a 6wt be a bit too much for the #12-#20 flies I use most on the river, or would a 5wt handle the occasional bass fine? The main reason Im looking at Redington is thats what I have. Im going to check a few of the fly shops around me on monday too. Just sorta trying to get peoples opinions of stuff before I go. Thanks
MartinlfAugust 28th, 2016, 8:58 pm
Palmyra PA

I've used my 5 wt for bass plenty of times, but I don't throw big air resistant flies with it, mostly sliders and wooly buggers for smallmouth. A 6 wt would be fine for flies 12-20 with the right tippet and leader.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WI_FisherAugust 28th, 2016, 9:06 pm
Posts: 8Do you think the Hydrogen would be a good choice then? I think thats what im starting to lean towards because then id have two different size rods, the action would be the same as my current rod. Do you think a 5wt or 6wt would be better for what I want to do with it?

AfishinadoAugust 29th, 2016, 7:41 am
SE PA

If you already own a decent 5wt, why not look at getting a 6wt for bass and fishing streamers and bigger flies for trout.

Here are comments on the Redington Hydrogen and Vapen from the Yellowstone Angler rod shoot-out:

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/index.php/gear-review/2016-5-weight-shootout-fly-rod-review-5weightflyrodcomparison-new-fly-rods-best-all-around-fly-rod-g-loomisnrxlp-scott-radian-orvis-helios2-hardyzephrus-hardy-wraith-sagemod-sage-bolt-loop-optistream/redington-hydrogen

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/index.php/gear-review/2016-5-weight-shootout-fly-rod-review-5weightflyrodcomparison-new-fly-rods-best-all-around-fly-rod-g-loomisnrxlp-scott-radian-orvis-helios2-hardyzephrus-hardy-wraith-sagemod-sage-bolt-loop-optistream/redington-vapen

It's best to try to test cast any rod before you buy. Good luck.
WI_FisherAugust 29th, 2016, 8:23 am
Posts: 8Does anyone know of any other rods that would fit what I'm looking for? The more I look and read about it it seems like the vapen is going to off the list. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.